TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I were to do so, how would I hook these 2 gauges? I'm assuming the volt gauge would hook up to the altenator some how?? I don't have a single clue how to hook up the oil pressure gauge though?? Thanx, Wes

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ya how would u wire in your amp guage i would like to know my self cause i got that stupid light that comes on no volt meter or anything

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gauges

96Toy said:
Ya how would u wire in your amp guage i would like to know my self cause i got that stupid light that comes on no volt meter or anything
same here man, I've got the gay ass no tach speedo cluster. I've been lookin on ebay for months and still haven't found anything. Hopefully some1 can help us out. Peace, Wes

·
Registered
297 Posts
wslytoy said:
same here man, I've got the gay ass no tach speedo cluster. I've been lookin on ebay for months and still haven't found anything. Hopefully some1 can help us out. Peace, Wes
Well, you want volts or amps? For volts, I just tapped in anywhere. For amperage I would go to the battery. For the Oil pressure, I went into a factory hole in the block next to the warning sensor. I bought autometer electric gauges from summit. ;)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gauges

scottnmos said:
Well, you want volts or amps? For volts, I just tapped in anywhere. For amperage I would go to the battery. For the Oil pressure, I went into a factory hole in the block next to the warning sensor. I bought autometer electric gauges from summit. ;)
well, now I feel stupid, what's the difference between volts and amps? Is 1 gauge better than another? Do you happen to know where the factory hole is for a 2.7? Thanx, Wes

·
Registered
984 Posts
wslytoy said:
well, now I feel stupid, what's the difference between volts and amps? Is 1 gauge better than another? ...
They're 2 different things... Crudely stated, 'amps' are how much electricity is going through the wires, and 'volts' are the 'pressure' with which it's moving. (Yeah, I know that's a dumbass summary...). You measure amps with an ammeter and volts with a voltmeter. Voltmeters are easier to install (basically tap into any hot line) and don't run the risks of ammeters (which can zap your system if improperly installed). Voltmeters can tell you how much 'pressure' you've got in the electrical system - the key parameter in evaluating battery status.

NOTE: I've been mulling over a new approach... I've seen 'battery status monitors' for motorcycles - LED multi-color lights that tap into your system. The color of the LED tells you the relative battery status (i.e., same as a voltmeter). These gizmos can be mounted anywhere, and they're cheaper than a voltmeter. Seems to me they're a good alternative...

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EnolaGaia said:
They're 2 different things... Crudely stated, 'amps' are how much electricity is going through the wires, and 'volts' are the 'pressure' with which it's moving. (Yeah, I know that's a dumbass summary...). You measure amps with an ammeter and volts with a voltmeter. Voltmeters are easier to install (basically tap into any hot line) and don't run the risks of ammeters (which can zap your system if improperly installed). Voltmeters can tell you how much 'pressure' you've got in the electrical system - the key parameter in evaluating battery status.

NOTE: I've been mulling over a new approach... I've seen 'battery status monitors' for motorcycles - LED multi-color lights that tap into your system. The color of the LED tells you the relative battery status (i.e., same as a voltmeter). These gizmos can be mounted anywhere, and they're cheaper than a voltmeter. Seems to me they're a good alternative...

well that "dumbass summary" is better than a bunch of technical terms, haha! You don't happen to have a link to 1 of the LED gauges do you? Thanx, Wes

·
Registered
984 Posts
wslytoy said:
...You don't happen to have a link to 1 of the LED gauges do you? Thanx, Wes
Sorry... I've been out of pocket for a while... One place that carries the battery status monitors (for motorcycles, but they'd adapt) is Sterling Motorworks: http://www.sterlingmotorworks.com/battery_status_monitor?b=1

When I went digging for their URL I realized their prices have escalated sometime in the last few months. Sorry... Still - having a multi-color LED gives you simple cueing on your voltage, and it's one less gauge to try and find a place for in the Taco's notoriously difficult (for gauge fitment) cabin.

I'm pretty sure there are other (typically motorcycle-related) site / vendors offering the same LED-based product.

·
Registered
88 Posts
EnolaGaia said:
Sorry... I've been out of pocket for a while... One place that carries the battery status monitors (for motorcycles, but they'd adapt) is Sterling Motorworks: http://www.sterlingmotorworks.com/battery_status_monitor?b=1

When I went digging for their URL I realized their prices have escalated sometime in the last few months. Sorry... Still - having a multi-color LED gives you simple cueing on your voltage, and it's one less gauge to try and find a place for in the Taco's notoriously difficult (for gauge fitment) cabin.

I'm pretty sure there are other (typically motorcycle-related) site / vendors offering the same LED-based product.

I have a question for you. So I can use the LED product and get a AMP gauge so i can keep track of 12 volts and AMPs with only one gauge and a LED? that would be grate i would only have to find a space for one gauge then.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My new radio (Pioneer Premier 770MP) actually has a voltmeter as an option for the display! I couldn't believe it. Pretty neat idea, I like it.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
wslytoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing