TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My travel plans for christmas this year have worked out in such a way that i'll be alone on christams eve and christmas day ...

I want to take this as an opportunity to volunteer to help others who need a little cheering up this christmas..

I'm thinking of volunteering at a shelter or a food drive or something.

Does anyone have any ideas or places in Colorado (only been here a year now) that might be looking for volunteers this Xmas?

I'm calling the Red-Cross today ....and the Salvation Army ...etc ....I just wanted to hear your thoughts ....maybe there is someplace that needs me that I may be over looking.........that's all....

Anyways ...Happy Holidays everyone.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
hey, if your all by your lonesome crhistamas eve some of my buddies and I are going drinking. Its a few guys from work and their friends. Its kind of a tradition. But if you find someplace to volunteer let me know, I am interested. My holiday season is falling apart really quicky and I need something to take my mind off of chit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I sent the Denver Rescue Mission an email ...

I'm going to wait to hear back from them before I go elsewhere because I don't want to "book" myself in two places...

I'm definitely doing this.

I'll repost when I get more details.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got this email back from the Denver Rescue Mission. I guess I'll have to help them out another time. I Also left a message with jennifer at the American Red Cross:

American Red Cross (719) 632-3563 1040 S 8th St, Colorado Springs

But need to hear back from her. It seems like I've left a hundred messages and all of the positions are filled. Think about that for a second.....they already have enough volunteers?.....that's awesome. I hope everyone has a happy holiday season ...i'll keep trying to find a place to help out.

Subject: RE: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:31:41 -0700
From: "Stacey Vlasicak" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: "MBTACOMA R" <[email protected]>

Thank you for your interest in the Denver Rescue Mission!!

We have been very blessed this Christmas season and have filled all of our opportunities associated with Christmas. We are always looking for folks to help us out throughout the year though.

One of the first opportunities we like to offer is serving meals in the kitchen at one of our two facilities. We serve five meals a day, seven days a week at both facilities and have several volunteer shifts to assist with the serving of the meals.

At our downtown Lawrence Street facility, located at 1130 Park Ave. West, we have four serving shifts available: 5:30 a.m. – 6:45 a.m., 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., and 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. All volunteers for the breakfast shift must be at least 18 years old. For the 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. shifts, the minimum age is 13 with adult supervision. For the 4:30 p.m. shift, which is a shift used primarily to prepare for the later meal, the minimum age is 10 with adult supervision.

Our new facility, located at 6090 Smith Road, is called The Crossing and will provide housing for the men going through our long-term rehabilitation program as well as transitional housing for families. We have two serving shifts available: 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. For both shifts the minimum age for volunteers is 10 with adult supervision.

If you are interested in serving with us at either facility, please call the Volunteer Department at 303-313-2455 to schedule a shift.

Our long term volunteer opportunities include clerical work, mentoring, tutoring, childcare, etc. We do ask for a minimum commitment of 6 months from our long term volunteers. If you think you may be interested in volunteering with us on a long term basis, we would need to have you fill out a volunteer application, review our statement of faith (because we are a faith based organization), and agree to a background check. Once you have completed the application, we will schedule an interview with you to learn a little more about what your likes and dislikes are. This helps us to place you in a volunteer position that you will enjoy. If this is something you think you would be interested in, please email [email protected].

If you are interested in conducting an off-site drive for clothing, food, or other needed items please email [email protected]. We will then provide you with more information about what specific types of items the Denver Rescue Mission needs, and the best way to go about conducting a drive.

We have a volunteer newsletter that we send out quarterly that has updates on all the volunteer opportunities in the upcoming quarter. If you would like to be included in this, please email [email protected].

Thanks again for your interest, and we look forward to hearing from you!
In His Grip,

Stacey L. Vlasicak

Director of Volunteers & Interns

Denver Rescue Mission

(303) 313-2459

"So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time" - Galatians 6:9

1 - 8 of 8 Posts