TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
It seems they're testing for ignorance. There's much more language in the amendment around groups than individuals. And a long history of disputed interpretations...

I come from a family of gun owners/hunters, and have participated in the same. Still, I get a little nervous about the guy who's stockpiling assault weapons. Or the guy who brings his gun with him everywhere he goes. That, to me, is more of a catalyst than a constitutional right...

Here's an interesting excerpt from WikiPedia:
~~~
In no particular order, early American settlers viewed the right to arms and/or the right to bear arms and state militias as important for one or more of these purposes:
  • deterring undemocratic government;
  • repelling invasion;
  • suppressing insurrection;
  • facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
  • participating in law enforcement;
  • slave control in slave states.
Which of these considerations they thought were most important, which of these considerations they were most alarmed about, and the extent to which each of these considerations ultimately found expression in the Second Amendment is disputed.
~~~

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Or the guy who brings his gun with him everywhere he goes. That, to me, is more of a catalyst than a constitutional right...
In phx this is almost a MUST anymore. I carry in some shape or form everyday. Hell a co worker had a scare with an attempted car jacking about a mile from my work. He had to pull his weapon which saved his ass. (dude was trying to bust the glass out of his driver side window) he did not need to discharge thank god but perfect example of carrying everyday being worth while.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am going to go ahead and disagree with carying guns with you everywhere. A family member of mine was shot in the chest with a stray bullet at a house party recently. People who think they are invincible, and pull out guns at the slitest notice scare the hell out of me. Dont think I am anti-gun, I am an avid hunter, I just think guns have there place, and its not with you everyday on the streets.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To each his own, me I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A family member of mine was shot in the chest with a stray bullet at a house party recently.

Prime example of someone who was carrying a gun that shouldn't have been. I believe responsible carrying for self defense is a right as a citizen, and something more of us should do. Now please note that I said RESPONSIBLE carrying for SELF DEFENSE. Brandishing a weapon is still a crime, as it should be.

I'm one of those "would rather have it and not need it" types.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Prime example of someone who was carrying a gun that shouldn't have been. I believe responsible carrying for self defense is a right as a citizen, and something more of us should do. Now please note that I said RESPONSIBLE carrying for SELF DEFENSE. Brandishing a weapon is still a crime, as it should be.

I'm one of those "would rather have it and not need it" types.
yup. If you dont exercise your right to keep and bear arms you will lose it.

You can let idiot examples like the ones above justify the opinion of not carrying every day. before I started carrying, even open carry(AZ law) I took my CCW class and got my permit. I highly suggest everyone takes this or at the very least takes a gun safety course. A Gun is a tool and no more dangerous then a ball peen hammer in the wrong persons hands

1 - 11 of 11 Posts