TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new to me Tacoma the other night. I checked the service recordsa and it said that the 4x4 was sometimes not engaging. And that the VSV selanoid may need to be replaced at around $700 CDN.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Maybe its just a vacumn leak? Any tricks/tips?

Any pics/diagrams of the location?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
The vac selnoids should be on drivers side of the engine bay right on the wheel well above the frame. You should see 4 vac lines going into 2 selnoids. I was able to pick-up a set of used selnoids for $50. Although I've never heard of them going out, I suppose it's possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the printout from the dealer today. i had them check inventory and there was only on set left for North America in Toronto. Then I asked for purchase history and either dealer in Metro halifax has ever sold one. That lead me to believe they never die, or fellow Taco owners service/cobble them up.
The mechanic assured me this was the issue.
So then I came home took all the selanoids off, cleaned them, lubed them adn it seems to be working OK now. At least I can shift in and out of 4X4 and the light is coming on in the dash.

I have had a similar problem (vacumn related) with my high mileage TDI>
I hope this helps someone else.

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts