TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, i have been holding back a bit on my posts, but i had to let everyone in on this.

I was invited to a BA event sponsored by SET (south east toyota) Friday. We got to test the new Tundra (the 5.7L) on a road test and a short drag. We got to compare the truck to the Ram, Titian, Silverauto and the F150 (there were 2 of each at the event).

You would almost think the Tundra should be getting compared to the F250 and he Chevy 2500HD. The Tundra destroyed all its competitors with ease. Also, we got to tow some pretty heavy loads, and the big deal with the Tundra was the brakes. If you tried to do the same quick braking with the Titian you did with the Tundra, you would have rolled past the white line into the intersection.

I was told one HUGE fact that everyone has WRONG. The 18-20mpg is THE OPTIONAL 4.0L 236hp V6 engine. We were not told the 5.7L gas mileage...but we guessed around 15-18mpg.

Here in Jacksonville, the Tundra is being released to the public Feb 9th. Below are just some more pics from the gear they handed out.

i hope i could shed some more light, as i know their has been many questions around the gas mileage topic.

brad

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
I don't know that anyone was expecting 18-20mpg out of a truck this size? But yeah it's been posted on Toyota's site for a while now that the 5.7 is rated at 14/18. Which given the previous generations lower than EPA performance, I would guess 13/17 real world mileage. It's a lot of truck.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
what is 'park pilot'?
but that truck sure is nice!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Park Pilot is a backup sensor built into the rear bumper. It beeps when you get close to any objects, like a tree, or a rock, or when you're about to run over your kids.

But yeah a bunch of guys from the Toyota dealership I work at went to that comparison thing and pretty much came back with the same conclusions. Somebody brought me back one of those t-shirts, the packaging was pretty cool. Wish I'd gotten one of those hats though. The new truck looks pretty cool, but it is a little more heavy-duty than the regular full-size trucks. I still have yet to drive one, though we've had a couple go through our dealership already. We have yet to get one that we can actually have and sell. Until I get some good experience in one I still like the new Silverados, they are saweeeet. But like I said, the Tundra seems a little tougher, at least with the big engine and all, than the other light-duty trucks out there. I don't know that it would hold up against a 2500 series or F-250. Definitely blows the Titan out of the water. Now I'm impatiently waiting a diesel version of the new Tundra, then I might be tempted to pick one up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm also in Jax....where do you work? I was wondering when the dealers would have the new tundras on their lots.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well we got 4 in at my dealership today. One was damaged on its way in, but the other 3 are ours and I got to drive one. I drove a Double cab with the 4.7 and from the short drive I got it seemed pretty nice, more like a full-size than the large-midsize the last one was. Can't wait to drive one around a little more. We also got a Double cab with a long bed and the 5.7. That thing is huge.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chargedtaco01 said:
I'm also in Jax....where do you work? I was wondering when the dealers would have the new tundras on their lots.
Ernie palmer will have them the 9th, i know for a fact...and i think everyone will have them mabye the 12th. That date is sticking in my mind for some reason. I talked to Jeff king at Light house and i think he will have the best prices on them around Jacksonville. I forgot what he told me, but he has a good price up his sleeve.

we need to wheel together!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Three dealers I have talked to today have 3 Tundras each.

The trucks are BIG, and handle great IMO. The 4.7 needs more power (Would be fine for DD, lighter towing) thus is why I want the 5.7. The interror is very nicely laid out, I love the features they added. The truck is confrontable to drive and doesn't feel as big as it really is (I drove a 4.7l 2wd doublecab with the 6.5' bed) The seats are leaps and bounds above my 04 Tacoma's seats.

The limteds are VERY nice, though the leather seats are not as 'cushy' as the cloth, but at 41K... way out of my price range.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I sat in a 2WD TRD DoubleCab 5.7L today that interior makes you feel like your a 6 year old kid. I am 6'2" and I felt tiny.... the passenger is so far away from you. I was very impressed.... but 31K plues a 3K mark up for 2WD... ya, ill wait.... thankss....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Three dealers I have talked to today have 3 Tundras each.

The trucks are BIG, and handle great IMO. The 4.7 needs more power (Would be fine for DD, lighter towing) thus is why I want the 5.7. The interror is very nicely laid out, I love the features they added. The truck is confrontable to drive and doesn't feel as big as it really is (I drove a 4.7l 2wd doublecab with the 6.5' bed) The seats are leaps and bounds above my 04 Tacoma's seats.

The limteds are VERY nice, though the leather seats are not as 'cushy' as the cloth, but at 41K... way out of my price range.
Chris, I was thinking the same thing. I used my "Toyota cheater hookup" to try one out early. The big truck - it is not really fair to compare it to a typical1/2 ton P/U, and they reluctantly told us that the posted economy was for the smaller engine. Which is fine for a 1/2 ton, but when you get on it, you can tell that for towing it would be a little slow. And once I really thought about it, I just pulled the trigger on a Dodge T-diesel. It's hard to argue with a 6,700lb truck that pushes out 600lb torque, and gets me an honest 17-18 mpg. And, I got it for a price that skated by the Tundra.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I'm still going for the Tundra. I'm a pussy when it comes to Daily Driving so I want the Auto. Everything I have read says that the Dodges Auto behind the cummis is crap. Obviously the Tundra's 6speed is unknown, but I don't think I can point my finger at a crappy Toyota Tranny, even since 1985.

To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rojodiablo said:
Chris, I was thinking the same thing. I used my "Toyota cheater hookup" to try one out early. The big truck - it is not really fair to compare it to a typical1/2 ton P/U, and they reluctantly told us that the posted economy was for the smaller engine. Which is fine for a 1/2 ton, but when you get on it, you can tell that for towing it would be a little slow. And once I really thought about it, I just pulled the trigger on a Dodge T-diesel. It's hard to argue with a 6,700lb truck that pushes out 600lb torque, and gets me an honest 17-18 mpg. And, I got it for a price that skated by the Tundra.

trader...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
trader...
Nah... its' TRAITOR. ;) Put it this way- I can use a 5th wheel, and haul 22,000lb. That's pulling 4-1/2 tacomas down the road at once. Toyota hasn't got their diesel yet, and I couldn't wait until they got around to it. And my truck got 16mpg the other day hauling my boat up to Oxnard, over the pass on the 101, at 70 mph the whole way. IF...IF my taco could pull that grade with my boat behind it, it would be getting maybe 10mpg. And I doubt the new Tundra would really be much better than my old truck on gas mileage. I would bet the new 5.7 hauling 6500lb up that grade would eat massive amounts of fuel, too.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
I'm still going for the Tundra. I'm a pussy when it comes to Daily Driving so I want the Auto. Everything I have read says that the Dodges Auto behind the cummis is crap. Obviously the Tundra's 6speed is unknown, but I don't think I can point my finger at a crappy Toyota Tranny, even since 1985.

To each their own I guess.
Only tranny issues I have heard of is when people power them up with the hop-up chip. A lot of diesel owners who put the chip into their trucks have problems, it happens to all makes when hot rodded. TOO MUCH torque!!!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
We will see how the gas mileage does once I find one I like.

Towing.. yeah that'll have to wait till I get around to fixing my broke ass 85.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Test drove the 5.7 today. Bitchin motor! Tons of power. The long bed doesn't feel like you are driving a truck with a 8'+ bed. Turning radius, etc. Goood! Brakes are amazing!

IMO Toyota Steped up the plate, and hit a home run.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went on toyota.com to check out some colors, and to be honest, i cant find an ugly color!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
did you get your lease question answered?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bear said:
did you get your lease question answered?
yup! thanks! I'll keep you posted on wat happens bear

1 - 20 of 79 Posts