TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like I just secured a spot for a mule deer hunt in NM next season. The only issue that I have to address now is the fact that I do not own a long rifle capalble of a 300 yd shot.

I've narrowed the field down to 2 choices and I would like to here a couple of reviews from people who have shot em

1 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 (Wal Mart Package combo w/ scope)

2 Savage Model ?? .30-06 w/ the accutrigger ( Wal Mart package combo w/ scope)

Right now I am leaning towards the savage because of the adjustable trigger.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it was either that or a 300 win mag or a 300 WSM ( does Savage even produce a rifle chambered to these rounds?) , my main factor influencing the decision is price and availabiliy of ammo

·
Registered
533 Posts
win win situation. Go with the one that feels the best and fits you right.

Don't let people talk you out of the savage because of its past reputation, its a whole new gun that most haven't shot. It will probably out shoot the winchester.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
My17HMR has an accutrigger, and it's the best trigger I have ever owned.

I have fired quite a few Savage rifles, and they always seem to be good shooters.

Savage rifles seem to give a lot of gun for the money, and getting a rifle that shoots as good as a savage will usually cost more from any other manufacturer.

Having said that...

Winchester has stopped making rifles.

The ones that are on the shelves are probably the last Winchester rifles that there will ever be.

That Winchester just might be worth more money than the savage 10 years from now. (Myabe not, but I'm betting it will)

This just might be your last chance to own a new Winchester, if that matters to you.

And finaly...

A .30-06 is a .30-06- they all shoot the same bullet.

But the wood and the actions are different on these rifles and one of them will probably fit and feel better than the other.

Everybody is different, so what works for me might not work at all for you.

Handle them, work the actions and safetys. Dry fire them right there in front of the sales guys and checkout those triggers.

Buy the one you like.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
In the Field said:
well it was either that or a 300 win mag or a 300 WSM ( does Savage even produce a rifle chambered to these rounds?) , my main factor influencing the decision is price and availabiliy of ammo
Don't discount the .270.

It's a fine, flat shooting round that doesn't have an abusive kick and will flatten anything you will find around here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
fast frank said:
Don't discount the .270.

It's a fine, flat shooting round that doesn't have an abusive kick and will flatten anything you will find around here.

Part of my desire to puchase the next rifle in the .30 flavor is to round out my collection I've got .257 Roberts and a .444 Marlin ( I also have a .264 Win Mag but I have yet to find a load that it is consistant, and the stock has cracked once already)

BTW the new rifle will have a synthetic stock.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming:kewl:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a Win. model 70 270cal. i bought from wally world. I love it, shoots great, got groups less than 1" at 150 shoots great. Dont listen to people that say walmart guns suck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
In the Field said:
your main factor can affect you pretty bad if you ask me.....i learned the hard way....missed a buck...and cheap ammo took a role in it.....massed produced ammo (remington in my case) is not made with the precise quality as the more expensive ammo is, therefore i could literally notice defaults in the bullet and when i compared the bullets with the other ones in the box...a lot of them seemed to have different features in the lead. availability of good ammo shouldnt be a problem. When i bought and tested out the recommended ammo at a range (Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partition), i noticed a significant difference in my shot. I use a 7mag.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hurley994 said:
your main factor can affect you pretty bad if you ask me.....i learned the hard way....missed a buck...and cheap ammo took a role in it
The comment on cheap ammo is more in reference to range shooting and breaking in the barrel while allowing me to get comfortable with the gun. I've made it a habbit to run at least 10 rounds of quality ammo through the weekend before a hunt and that way I know exactly what to expect when it counts. With all the dinero this hunt is going to cost me I won't be skimping on the ammo!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I would go with the Savage out of those 2. As far as other choices, I would not go with anything less than a .270. My personal fav for this style hunt is the 7mm. The 300 is not bad, but I would recommend a muzzle break. I use them on my 7mm & 300. Just make sure you get some ear plugs & USE THEM. My left ear is not so good anymore.

·
Registered
472 Posts
In the Field said:
The comment on cheap ammo is more in reference to range shooting and breaking in the barrel while allowing me to get comfortable with the gun. I've made it a habbit to run at least 10 rounds of quality ammo through the weekend before a hunt and that way I know exactly what to expect when it counts. With all the dinero this hunt is going to cost me I won't be skimping on the ammo!
I hear ya....I know it can get expensive....a regular 2 day trip for me easily breaks $100 with gas/food/ammo/feed etc....and it feels worse when you come home empty :banghead:
ps. pm'd ya.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I personally like Remington and Browning better then the Winchester or Savage. But buy what you can afford, like, and feels the most comfortable. Like the other's said a 30-06 is a 30-06. The target isn't going to know the difference.. :D

Also, if you're trying to save money on a gun don't be afraid to check out the pawn shops. You can get almost new guns there for cheap. I picked up a like new Remington 870 Express Mag on consignment for less then $200. The same gun was $300 new at the same dealer. It was mint condition and a steal at that price.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have a Savage 110 7mm Mag, I have several .4-.75 MOA 5 shot patterns with hand loads at 100 meters. They are lightweight with the synthetic stock.

Of the calibers mentioned, I don't think you can go wrong 30-06 with a controlled expansion bullet, something like a ie Hornaday spire point, Remington Core Lokt, Winchester Power Point. The will go through and through at 500 yards. They are not as velocity specific as Barnes, FailSafes.

At range (3-500 yards) they don't seem to go down as easy with 270s, 25 calibers when compared to 30-06 or 7mm Mag, at least this has been what I have observed.

Wally

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
jester_motorsports said:
I was going to recommend a Remington Model 700 in the 30-06 variety.
I think the fit, finish, smoothness of the action of a Remington 700 far exceeds a Savage 110. It is a higher quality fire arm.

Wally

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
In the Field said:
Well it looks like I just secured a spot for a mule deer hunt in NM next season. The only issue that I have to address now is the fact that I do not own a long rifle capalble of a 300 yd shot.

I've narrowed the field down to 2 choices and I would like to here a couple of reviews from people who have shot em

1 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 (Wal Mart Package combo w/ scope)

2 Savage Model ?? .30-06 w/ the accutrigger ( Wal Mart package combo w/ scope)

Right now I am leaning towards the savage because of the adjustable trigger.

Any input is appreciated.
I just picked up the Savage package combo you are talking about (116FXP3) yesterday...I got it for $450 (including Cali's DOJ fee and my FFL Dealer's fee) in a .30-06. I don't get it for 11 days. :( Man, is it pretty.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Regardless of what you buy, just be happy that your wal-mart still sells guns. Both the wal-mart and sports authority by me stopped selling guns. The guy at wal-mart said a lot of their stores will be stopping selling guns now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeff. said:
I don't get it for 11 days. :(

11 Days? Are you waiting for it to ship or is that a Cali waiting period?

After hearing these replies and discussing the topic with a couple of other people today I have pretty much made the decision to go with that exact model, let me know how it shoots please!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
Koke
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing