TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the first tank or so that i ran the new pump it didnt really make any noise...
now im 400mi from home and it started to scream like a chevy fuel pump :eek:
should i be worried?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My Walbro 190 makes a lot of noise, but not quite as much as my 95 Taurus pump. I never even heard my old stock Toyota pump.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet... at first i couldnt hear it.. now i sounds like a normal pump..
i assume it needed to beak in?
i feel much better knowing its just a noisy pump

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
My Walbro starts squealing on really hot days, when I drive a lot of miles. The first time I noticed it was driving from Chicago to Arkansas for TakeOver. It concerned me at first, but it's done it a few times since then.

I'm not terribly worried about it, but it concerned me enough to buy and carry a spare one with me.

Now that I've read this thread, I feel a little better about it.

100 Posts
sweet... at first i couldnt hear it.. now i sounds like a normal pump..
i assume it needed to beak in?
i feel much better knowing its just a noisy pump

My 190 also...did not whine until after first tank or two. was also concerned but pm'd a couple of friends here and they put me at ease. Pump like jamie said, louder when warmer or low on gas. At least that is my experience. But no squeal. just a whine. Stock pump, zero noise.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The stock pump uses a plastic single stage trubine type impeller like most OEM pumps. This is done to make them quiet but they are limited on flow and pressure.

The Walbro is a positive displacement pump like the supercharger with intermeshing gears. Those intermeshing gears make noise, like your supercharger makes noise.

This is completely normal and should be fully expected, to make noise that is...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts