TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow I found a post and I'm almost positive it was on this board where a guy took some good shots of them installing a SC on his DC Taco, maroon I believe was the color.

In the pics he showed them putting in the Walbro 190, but they hooked it into the stock plug connector rather than cutting the wires and using butt connectors.

Anyone else done this or know who I'm talking about? I guess I'm leery of relying on butt connectors to power my fuel pump.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
solder that shit

·
Registered
717 Posts
i have had mine connect like that for the 15 months, no problems yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drabnor said:
solder that shit
I could, but I don't think that's even as good as just putting the stock connector on the Walbro wires. This guy did it, so obviously it's possible. He took a screw driver and lifted a small locking tab then insertedt he Walbro wires and snapped it back together. No joints that can cause problems.

I've searched and searched and can't find it. It was a link to a photo gallery of his install.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Speedy said:
I could, but I don't think that's even as good as just putting the stock connector on the Walbro wires. This guy did it, so obviously it's possible. He took a screw driver and lifted a small locking tab then insertedt he Walbro wires and snapped it back together. No joints that can cause problems.

I've searched and searched and can't find it. It was a link to a photo gallery of his install.
that was me that did that... i just disassembled the connector and very carefully pried the tabs holding the wire open, removed the stock pump wires and then clamped the new wire in and soldered it.... but if you break one of those pins in the process... your'e screwed :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Speedy said:
Somehow I found a post and I'm almost positive it was on this board where a guy took some good shots of them installing a SC on his DC Taco, maroon I believe was the color.

In the pics he showed them putting in the Walbro 190, but they hooked it into the stock plug connector rather than cutting the wires and using butt connectors.

Anyone else done this or know who I'm talking about? I guess I'm leery of relying on butt connectors to power my fuel pump.
If you do the intall yourself youll quickly understand why not taking the time to solder it like you should is not even considered. The fuel pump is to important and time consuming to replace, not soldering it shouldnt even be discussed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VF'N8 said:
If you do the intall yourself youll quickly understand why not taking the time to solder it like you should is not even considered. The fuel pump is to important and time consuming to replace, not soldering it shouldnt even be discussed.
So when you guys are saying "solder" do you mean cutting the stock wires and soldering them to the Walbro wires?

I need to see some pics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good info as I will be doing mine shortly as well.

Note to self...pick up solder...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you are going to solder the fuel pump connections, make sure you use a heat shrink that is designed to be submerged in gasoline.

It is this reason why URD recommends using the included butt connectors inside the fuel tank instead of soldering like we do everything else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gadget said:
If you are going to solder the fuel pump connections, make sure you use a heat shrink that is designed to be submerged in gasoline.

It is this reason why URD recommends using the included butt connectors inside the fuel tank instead of soldering like we do everything else.
Gadget,

Any idea how putting the Walbro wires into the stock connector works? I have searched for two days on here and CT and can't find that post with the pics.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Speedy said:
Gadget,

Any idea how putting the Walbro wires into the stock connector works? I have searched for two days on here and CT and can't find that post with the pics.
honestly... if you have to ask, you are beter off just crimping it with the splies included with the pump...

the pics are no longer arround, somene else took em and i never got a copy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
LAW said:
honestly... if you have to ask, you are beter off just crimping it with the splies included with the pump...

the pics are no longer arround, somene else took em and i never got a copy
This wasn't you bro. I just saw these install pics last week. It was a maroon double cab on community webshots if memory serves.

I'll figure it out when I do the swap. This guy didn't mention having to do any soldering in his pics. I just don't trust a joint like tha tin a fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Speedy said:
This wasn't you bro. I just saw these install pics last week. It was a maroon double cab on community webshots if memory serves.

I'll figure it out when I do the swap. This guy didn't mention having to do any soldering in his pics. I just don't trust a joint like tha tin a fuel tank.
it was me that did that fuel pump install on the maroon double cab... trust me.. i carefully disassembled the connector and soldered the wires in..
when i install the pump on my truck later this week ill take some more pics

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LAW said:
it was me that did that fuel pump install on the maroon double cab... trust me.. i carefully disassembled the connector and soldered the wires in..
when i install the pump on my truck later this week ill take some more pics
Ah, my bad. The pics are still floating around somewhere. Looked like a VERY clean way to do this. That's the only one I've seen done that way and thought it was brilliant.

I'm super anal about stuff (I'm a computer engineer) and like things to be over engineered/bullet proof and that looks like the perfect way to go. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, but having a pic would help me know what I'm getting in to ahead of time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see its been a while since this was read. Id love to see those pics on the pump install. You still got em? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Here are pics from my install back in 2005:
(By the way - this was the most time consuming part of the whole Supercharger / URD Install)

We took the bolts out of the Driver's side of the bed, and just loosened the passenger side bolts, and we tilted the bed enough (using a 2x4) to get under there and access the fuel pump:

Here is the top of the fuel tank and fuel pump access:

Old fuel pump removed from the assembly:

New Walbro 190 installed (factory connector soldered and heat-shrinked on to the new unit):

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oddly, my 4Runner didn't seem to need the fuel pump. It did fine without it even with the URD 2.2" pulley (9.5 psi).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts