TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok rear is a no brainer but what about the front? How do i increase the height of the front suspension? Was thinking maybe using OME front springs...thing that confuses me is how the springs mount to that pearch that is part of the fabtech shock. Can i get a shock with a pearch attached to it like the fabtechs that came with my lift, with a damping rate equal to the spring rate of the OME 882's and long enough to fit the 6 inches plus whatever extra i will get from the new springs? Any other ideas are welcome...just want a little more lift, I'm not asking for much 2 inches more would be fine. Totally against body lifts so I won't even consider that. Is there any hope are am i just out of luck until i do a SAS?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Why not install some adjustable coilovers like King or Donohone or SAW and crank them to 2" of lift? Then just sell those Fabtech shocks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because i figure coilovers only good for 3" above stock height...i need something long enough to make up for my already 6 inch increase plus the extra 2 inches or so that i want.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
afcajun said:
Because i figure coilovers only good for 3" above stock height...i need something long enough to make up for my already 6 inch increase plus the extra 2 inches or so that i want.
the trailmaster 6" kit uses stock coilovers via a 6" spacer...order one of those and it'll work with any adjustable coilover on your fabtech 6"

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, y didn't i think of that? Has this been done before? Like is that the way most guys are doing it? If so can some of you chime in and let me know pro's and cons of doing this? Seems pricey but maybe I can find a deal somehow, maybe find some used coilovers. My first idea seemed cheaper, but i'll wait for more of you guy's feedback. Thanks YoTRacer158!

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
afcajun said:
Ok rear is a no brainer but what about the front? How do i increase the height of the front suspension? Was thinking maybe using OME front springs...thing that confuses me is how the springs mount to that pearch that is part of the fabtech shock. Can i get a shock with a pearch attached to it like the fabtechs that came with my lift, with a damping rate equal to the spring rate of the OME 882's and long enough to fit the 6 inches plus whatever extra i will get from the new springs? Any other ideas are welcome...just want a little more lift, I'm not asking for much 2 inches more would be fine. Totally against body lifts so I won't even consider that. Is there any hope are am i just out of luck until i do a SAS?
I am currently running 2" spacers with the Fabtech lift and I would not recommend it because it puts your CV’s at an extreme angle because Fabtech does not lower the diff a full 6 inches. But if you have your mind set, I am going to be selling the Fabtech shock assembly (Fabtech struts, V6 Non-TRD spring, 2” Cornfed Spacers) soon for 200+ shipping.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was avoiding the whole spacer lift altogether because I like spacer lifts about as much as I like body lifts. That really blows that fabtech didn't drop the diff a full 6in i was figuring that they did and i still had about 2 inches to play with. I guess i'll just keep rackin my brain about this issue till i come up with another idea. Please chime in if anyone has anything else to say or suggest.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
afcajun said:
well i was avoiding the whole spacer lift altogether because I like spacer lifts about as much as I like body lifts. That really blows that fabtech didn't drop the diff a full 6in i was figuring that they did and i still had about 2 inches to play with. I guess i'll just keep rackin my brain about this issue till i come up with another idea. Please chime in if anyone has anything else to say or suggest.
What makes the spacers bad?

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
afcajun said:
It's been asked before. here you go, some good reading:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacomaterritory/messages?msg=117149.1

You can always add up to 3"s of body lift and I would say 1" suspension on top of the fabtech wouldn't hurt.

I am planning on getting the TM 6" spacers and combining my current camburg A-arm/hoe coilover set up with that Fabtech in the future. I will only be going 1" on top of the fabteck for a total of 7" of suspension lift, but with the best ride possible.

edit: I forgot to add that Chris "www.trdparts4u.com" had the set up you are describing. He was thinking about SASing but I don't know if he ever did. i don't see him post that much anymore since the new board came up, but maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link...exactly the info i needed. Looks like i can get away with one extra inch via a spacer pretty cheap. I may just not do it, i wanted new springs and the OME looked very tempting to me if i could have done with the ones to give me one more inch in height and run new shocks that woudl have been great. I really don't like the fabtech ride. If i don't wheel the thing every day the suspension gets stiff as hell. Like everything becomes stuck from lack of articulation...but hit the trails and it's fine for a day or two, then right back to stiffness. Don't know what causes that but would love to do away with it. May just have to deal with it until i am ready to do the SAS. Coilovers are too expensive for me right now, i just bought two DO bumpers for front and rear and some rock sliders so i have to recoupe from that hit in the wallet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can't open the trdparts4u.com link, site must be down...i'll check out what they have there when it becomes available.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
afcajun said:
Thanks for the link...exactly the info i needed. Looks like i can get away with one extra inch via a spacer pretty cheap. I may just not do it, i wanted new springs and the OME looked very tempting to me if i could have done with the ones to give me one more inch in height and run new shocks that woudl have been great. I really don't like the fabtech ride. If i don't wheel the thing every day the suspension gets stiff as hell. Like everything becomes stuck from lack of articulation...but hit the trails and it's fine for a day or two, then right back to stiffness. Don't know what causes that but would love to do away with it. May just have to deal with it until i am ready to do the SAS. Coilovers are too expensive for me right now, i just bought two DO bumpers for front and rear and some rock sliders so i have to recoupe from that hit in the wallet.
Do you still have the blocks and AAL from the fabtech kit? Going to a custom spring will make the ride 100% better. I went with chevy springs for my truck and it made a huge difference in the ride.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that is my plan for the rear but it just seems like the front is stiff as hell too. I've been searching the old fourm and have seen people running the OME 881 coils with the fabtech strut. That is what i think i may do for the front. Still get the height i wanted and get it for cheap with a new springs. I'm really glad to hear that new rear springs make so much of a difference, give me hope for the next year or two i have to wait till i'm ready to do the SAS. Are you still running they blocks with those 63" Chevy's? Just wondering how you got your rear up high enough to match the front with the 63" chevy springs? Shackles? I'm open to suggestions, I'd like the rear to sit slightly higher than it does now...seems lower than the front, i like the stance it had stock where the rear was slightly higher than the front. I'm all about saving money so if i can do this with chevy springs it woudl be a whole lot cheeper than a custom leaf pack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually the 882's look like what i need, says it's the one to use if your running a bullbar and winch...may get those...I'm open to suggestions. If anyone runs the OME's with fabtech lift let me konw how you like it pros and cons, and let me know what you run...thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
afcajun said:
I am running the OME 881 coils on my FT struts. Why do you want to ditch the FT struts?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well like i said my truck rides like a dump truck right now unless it's a day or two after i go wheeling. I was just trying to eliminate one thing at a time to see what it is that is making it ride so rough. From what i'm hearing now it's the rear leaf pack. So i probably won't have to get a new strut. What i'm trying to find out now is how you guys running the OME coil fabtech strut combo like it? pro's and cons?

Hey look i'm not a noob anymore!!!

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
afcajun said:
Well that is my plan for the rear but it just seems like the front is stiff as hell too. I've been searching the old fourm and have seen people running the OME 881 coils with the fabtech strut. That is what i think i may do for the front. Still get the height i wanted and get it for cheap with a new springs. I'm really glad to hear that new rear springs make so much of a difference, give me hope for the next year or two i have to wait till i'm ready to do the SAS. Are you still running they blocks with those 63" Chevy's? Just wondering how you got your rear up high enough to match the front with the 63" chevy springs? Shackles? I'm open to suggestions, I'd like the rear to sit slightly higher than it does now...seems lower than the front, i like the stance it had stock where the rear was slightly higher than the front. I'm all about saving money so if i can do this with chevy springs it woudl be a whole lot cheeper than a custom leaf pack.
I am running 2WD chevy springs with a 9" eye to eye shackle. Currently the springs are giving me enough lift to give the stock look with just the fabtech 6" lift. You can run the 4WD springs to get more lift or add blocks. In the pictures below, you can see the measurements and how the CV's would look with 2" of lift

http://home.comcast.net/~paul.trautner/chevyswap

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
afcajun said:
Actually the 882's look like what i need, says it's the one to use if your running a bullbar and winch...may get those...I'm open to suggestions. If anyone runs the OME's with fabtech lift let me konw how you like it pros and cons, and let me know what you run...thanks.
none of the OME coils will handle that weight AND maintain much lift. They are all 500# coils and don't hold up well to a winch and heavy bumper.
I gave up on mine and went to 675# SAWS and don't bottom out the suspension like I used to on even minor bumps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just for comparison sake what are the stock TRD coils rated?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
afcajun said:
Just for comparison sake what are the stock TRD coils rated?
Um, there seems to be some dispute on that, LOL I've been told by my local Yota parts guy that there are 4 different rated springs used on the 4x4 and prerunners depending on engine size and model (ranging from 380-520#). The v6 TRD progressives are supposed to be 520# (but only the top winds or the "progressive" section) but I've read stuff on the Yotatech board that they are around 475. I haven't figured out how to confirm anything as yet.
NWOR's progressives are 300/600. I wish I had more info on what makes these progressive type coils differing rates within the same coil.

There is quite a long thread on Yotatech about using 4Runner coils as they are heavier than the Taco coils. And then there's Tundra coils...another can o worms ;)

anyone have any ideas?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts