TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01' Tacoma ext. cab. It's got a 6 inch trailmaster lift. What's the best route to take to get a few more inches? I've heard a body lift, or replace my bushings?? I'd like to go big enough to fit 37 inch tires. Any help? :confused:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
koolkartune said:
I have a 01' Tacoma ext. cab. It's got a 6 inch trailmaster lift. What's the best route to take to get a few more inches? I've heard a body lift, or replace my bushings?? I'd like to go big enough to fit 37 inch tires. Any help? :confused:
a body lift is one of the cheaper ways to go, a lot of people dont like body lifts on here because of the potential damage they can do to your truck, but roger brown puts together a good body lift if you decide to go that route. you could also get coil spacers or adjustable coilovers in the front, and then go with custom springs in the back to level it back out

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
koolkartune said:
Realize that with 37's on IFS, you're most likely gonna be replacing front steering/suspension very often. Especially if you actually wheel it. Even if it's a street queen, things will be wearing out a lot quicker than you might think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SAS it if you plan on doing any wheelin with it if you want to go bigger, If it's a street queen you can get some coilovers/spacers and you could fit 37's on it preety easy. You'll have to watch your steering rack, had one of those go out on me, i also broke a steering rod in half *though I wheeled mine*

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Geesh and i was afraid to go to 35's on IFS :eek:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've got 3.5" fabtech coilovers with AAL in the rear. I wanted to add spacers up front and not sure about the rear yet? Planning on 35's but don't know if I'm asking for trouble. I don't wheel much, just for hunting and fishing. Any thoughts? How bout ideas for leveling out the rear?

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 6" TM lift, so I'm not sure what "bushing" you heard about. But you can add front coilovers or spacers to the TM kit for 1" to 3" of extra lift. Like the others said, a body lift is another option. So with a body lift and coilover/spacer lift, the maximum amount you could lift would be 6" TM plus 3" coilovers/spacers plus 3" body lift for a total of 12". I don't know if you can fit 37s with that amount of lift, but you should be able to fit 35s.

Again, like the others said, the Taco front end was simply not designed for tires that big, though. The Taco will more than likely suffer prematurely worn steering and CV axle wear if not outright breakage if you actually wheel it. FWIW, the maximum tire size for a Dana 44 is 35", and the Taco's 7.5" front with CV axle is no Dana 44.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Just remembered another option - a solid axle conversion. If you still want 37s, you might want to think about a full-width front Dana 60 if you plan on lots of wheeling. The added width of the axle will help provide some stability to the higher stance needed to fit 37's, and the strength of the Dana 60 should be able to withstand the added weight and size of a tire that big. Of course, a solid axle conversion is going to be pricey, and you'll also have to add in the cost of regearing front and rear due to the bigger diameter of the tire.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got 3.5" fabtech coilovers with AAL in the rear. I wanted to add spacers up front and not sure about the rear yet? Planning on 35's but don't know if I'm asking for trouble. I don't wheel much, just for hunting and fishing. Any thoughts? How bout ideas for leveling out the rear?
bad idea to add spacers on top of c/o's

·
Registered
616 Posts
my buddy had a 2002 tacoma with a 6 inch fabtech lift and a 3 inch body lift. he is running 38 inch swampers with no rubbing anywhere. it looks great also.

·
Registered
616 Posts
my buddy has a 2002 tacoma with a 6 inch fabtech lift and a 3 inch body lift. he is running 38 inch swampers with no rubbing anywhere. it looks great also.

·
Registered
597 Posts
is there an echo?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
my buddy has a 2002 tacoma with a 6 inch fabtech lift and a 3 inch body lift. he is running 38 inch swampers with no rubbing anywhere. it looks great also.
Looks don't get you home on the trail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
16 Participants
NorcalPR
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing