TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 2001 3.4 Tacoma. If the engine has been running for 10 min. or more and I turn it off and try to start it back up, it has trouble starting unless I step on the gas pedal. I'm hoping it's a simple fix with the fuel filter or something like that. Anybody else ever have this problem?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep. It will crank but I have to give it some throttle for it to start up. It almost acts as if it was a carbureted motor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yep. It will crank but I have to give it some throttle for it to start up. It almost acts as if it was a carbureted motor.
So I did some research, (mostly because I want to know the fix to the problem)
Heres what I found
1. Leaking fuel injectors, can cause fuel flooding engine, which requires time to unflood to start/also why giving it throttle helps it start.
2. Engine coolant temp sensor bad, causing engine comp to think its hot and wont let it start(until sensor cools down) but giving it throttle wouldnt help this problem.
3. air filter temp sensor-same problem as 2. Engine wont start thinking its hot , BUT if its bad just unplug it and it should start (if thats the problem)

I hope this helps, I think it could be 2. , 1 would have caused problems before I think, and 3. Depending on model it might not/cant be the problem.

Post up what you find :thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did some research, (mostly because I want to know the fix to the problem)
Heres what I found
1. Leaking fuel injectors, can cause fuel flooding engine, which requires time to unflood to start/also why giving it throttle helps it start.
2. Engine coolant temp sensor bad, causing engine comp to think its hot and wont let it start(until sensor cools down) but giving it throttle wouldnt help this problem.
3. air filter temp sensor-same problem as 2. Engine wont start thinking its hot , BUT if its bad just unplug it and it should start (if thats the problem)

I hope this helps, I think it could be 2. , 1 would have caused problems before I think, and 3. Depending on model it might not/cant be the problem.

Post up what you find :thumbsup:

well, as it turns out my check engine light came on and the code it was reading said that the engine coolant temp sensor was bad. The check engine light went off 2 days later and I havent had the problem since!

·
Registered
310 Posts
well, as it turns out my check engine light came on and the code it was reading said that the engine coolant temp sensor was bad. The check engine light went off 2 days later and I havent had the problem since!
So it was #2 but fixed it self? I hate codes that fix themselves because it doesn't explain there cause which can cause them to come back at any given time for no apparent reason leaving you screwed. But thanks for letting us know what the outcome was :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Coolant temp malfunction

How many miles you have on that truck? I changed all my sensors on the truck to facilitate tuning. I was having hard start problems when hot. The coolant temp was the last one i changed. no porblem since then. just becasue the cel went away doesn't mean its not malfunctioning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts