TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I am looking at a winch for my 07 Tacoma access cab. It will be going into an Allpro plate bumper. Allrpo suggests the 9.5XP, but that is an expensive winch! the M8000 is about half the price. My question is has anyone with an 05+ tacoma used an M800? Is it enough pulling power? Also will it fit into the allpro bumper even though its made for a 9.5XP?

Ultimatly, my truck will have the front bunper, sliders, and eventually skids and a rear tire gate (though I may upgrade the winch by then as that is a LONG ways down the road)

Thank you very much!

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Hey Guys, I am looking at a winch for my 07 Tacoma access cab. It will be going into an Allpro plate bumper. Allrpo suggests the 9.5XP, but that is an expensive winch! the M8000 is about half the price. My question is has anyone with an 05+ tacoma used an M800? Is it enough pulling power? Also will it fit into the allpro bumper even though its made for a 9.5XP?

Ultimatly, my truck will have the front bunper, sliders, and eventually skids and a rear tire gate (though I may upgrade the winch by then as that is a LONG ways down the road)

Thank you very much!
since it is smaller it will fit ;)
also look into the XD9000 or equivalent Mile Marker brand for a lower price.

but...will the 8k work? yes...just not quite as much pulling power.

suggested reading for winch owners ;)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have an M8000 in the FJ, great winch. Hard to beat it for the price. The general rule is you need 1.5 times the weight of you truck. Tacomas can get to 6,000lb with trail gear so an M8000 is a little low but will definatly get the job done for medium trail riding. Depends on what kind of wheeling you will be doing. Most of my pulls have been just to tug myself or a jeep TJ up over a steep obsticle so it plenty of power. Pulling a stuck rig through a 2ft of thick mud would wear it out but then again you could double up the lines.

I say go for it. I am a firm believer in Warn products and would take their M8000 over a lot of the other 9,000lb winches on the market. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
761 Posts

Thank you very much!
I have a mile marker 8.000lb. on my 05 tacoma dd cab. and it works great.

·
Registered
937 Posts

Thank you very much!
The Warn M8000 is only $539 SHIPPED right now. I have one on an SUV that has to weigh as much as your truck, and it pulls fine. I do have a Warn HS9500 on my 1st gen Taco, but if I was shopping for a winch today it would also get an M8000.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
smaller winches will pull on a level area but when you have to haul yourself up a 45* bank with flat tires or whatever and you'll be wishing you went bigger ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
A few things to consider, first off Warn uses really really good tough motors.

Second, "Smaller" might not be the proper term is you are applying it to a Warn M8000, or a Warn M8274. I am sure most companies would rate them for at least 9,000 lbs. For some reason Warn rates them VERY conservatively. I think they just want to have a few winches available for the greenhorn Jeeper. Most in that category only look at the front end number (6, 8, 9, 10, 12, and has been told by others that he needs a certain pound rated winch on his Peep.

If you start comparing winches, and look up their specs. You find the performance numbers are much closer, than the front end designation would lead you to believe. The excellent XD9000, is slower than a M8000, and it only beats the M8000 in pull by 780 lbs on the 4th wrap. The Tmax EW9000 only claims to beats the M8000 on the fourth wrap by 480 lbs and it claims to have a 5.5 hp motor also keep in mind some companies are conservative in rating their product other are wildly optimistic with their numbers.

At 8,000lbs the M8000 is pulling at 8.1 fpm,, after that it just doesn't run up a white flag or broad cast a message saying I quit Boss I have reached 8,000 lbs . It will keep on pulling and slowing down well past 8,000 lbs. I would like to see one hooked to a load cell to see where the stall point actually is. There is no question it is well past 8,000 lbs though. ..

The M8000 can apply more pull on the 4th wrap than a Ramsey patriot 9500 or a MileMarker SEC-9500. The fourth wrap is important because it is a good indicator of the motors torque capability. The line speed at 8000lbs is also a good indication of how the winches are comparing under load, I listed it because it was the highest load listed that they all shared.

As slow as the MM is you could two part the line in the other winches and beat it up your 45 degree hill pulling a Dodge 2500 diesel with all four tires flat and with your Tacoma in tow.

Warn XD9000
Motor Rating 4.6 hp
Line Speed No-load = 38 ft/min
Line speed @ 8000 lb =6.88 ft/min
Line pull by layer
1 /9000
2 /8190
3 /7500
4 /7010

Tmax EW 9000
Motor Rating 5.5 hp
Line Speed No Load = 37.2
Line Speed @ 8000 =8.2
Line pull by layer
1/ 9000
2/ 7990
3/ 7237
4/ 6713

Warn M8000
Motor Rating = 4.8 hp
Line Speed No-load = 42 ft/min
Line Speed @ 8000 lb = 8.1 ft/min
Line Pull by Layer
1 / 8000 lb.
2 / 7280 lb.
3 / 6670 lb.
4 / 6230 lb.

Ramsey Patriot 9500 (company website)
Motor Rating = 5.5 hp
Line Speed No-load = 35.4 ft/min
Line Speed @ 8000 lb= 9 ft/min
Line pull by layer
1 / 9500 lb.
2 / 7780 lb.
3 / 6600 lb.
4 / 5725 lb.

Milemarker SE9500 (company website) V
Motor Rating = 4.6 hp
Line Speed No-load = 23 ft/min
Line Speed @ 8000 lb. = 5.9 ft/min
Line pull by layer
1 / 9500 lb.
2 / 7500 lb.
3 / 6200 lb.
4 / 5300 lb

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok I have a m-8000 and love it , it has pulled so many chevys and fords out it is ridiculus . once i pulled my service truck out of the mud while it was sitting on the pumpkin (chevy 2500 probably weighed 9-10 k lbs.)I had to anchor to two other pickups . but I cant say I have pulled myself over a 45 deg angle with 4 flat tires, still would I buy one again? without hesitation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts