TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my winch on my truck since x-mas day. I have used it halph a dozen times and thats probly it. Today I Had to use pretty hard used it to assist myself up a very steep hill (hard to walk up with good traction) anyways after pulling myself up this hill I unspooled my cable at the top up the hill because i was getting a rats nest on my winch and while spooling in all 80 feet of cable i stopped about 30 feet in to do something and when i went to continue "click nothing" I felt the motor and was very hot to the touch almost burned my hand if i left it touching it. I left winch alone for about 3 minutes and had cooled down alot. spooled about a min and click. everytime i hit/shook the control box it would work. Has anyone ever noticed the left side of winch getting very hot after a long hard pull. left side was normal. No unordinary smell i may just have a loose connection. Im just worried about how hot it was. Is it normal i know its a motor and was working hard. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Never touched ours after a pull....but its not uncommon for a motor to get 'hot' when its used hard. After its fully cooled - try using it again.
Perhaps it shuts itself down when it gets too hot. I'm not sure....

I know in our Jeep - we have a battery voltage gauge. We keep an eye on that gauge - and whenever the voltage of the battery gets near the 'red' - we stop winching and let the battery voltage build back up. The battery voltage always drops a lot faster than the winch tends to get hot.

But - giving the winch some 'cool down' time during a long-hard pull is something you may consider in the future.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
You spooled 50 ft. of cable on a load without stopping? I try to give my winch a break about every 20 ft. or so if there is a lot of strain on it. I've lost count how many times I've used my winch (probably 20-25 if I had to guess) but I've not once had a problem with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like you over heated it - they have a certain cycle time - and you need to let them cool down or you'll burn it up. What your describing is probably a solenoid problem now - pop the control box and take a look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what should i look for when i pop the control box. melted contacts? It was real weird when i couldnt get it to spool IN, but it would spool OUT just fine everytime but click when i would just try to spool IN it would click until i let it cool. I know the warn 8000 dosent have a shut off if it gets to hot but i didnt smell anything burning just curious if the very hot motor is normal. Thanks guys i will let u know what i find out. Off to go wheelin. I know pictures never do justice Theres my truck being held on the hill because its out of gas. I know im an idiot

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
If you unspooled it under power, in other words you didn't unlock it and pull it by hand, that is the cause of the excessive heat. Ask any winch manufactuer, the motor builds excessive heat when running backwards (unspooling wire).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKYOU tacocrazy that explains it. I did unspool about 30-40 feet with the remote because my friend didnt want to walk 15 feet down the hill to release my clutch.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
As mentioned above, you generate a lot of heat power UNspooling because you're working against the brake.

Was the truck running at the time? What was the voltage doing? Your stock alternator/battery won't have enough juice to hold up to extended winching like that, and the lower voltage will mean more current which means more heat.

To make a long story short - do short pulls with breaks in between to allow the winch to cool off and the voltage to build back up.

One last thing to consider is how heavy is your truck fully loaded for 'wheeling? How steep was this hill, how muddy, etc? With "only" an 8000 lb winch, you COULD have been close to the limit, and should have used a snatch block to do a 2 line pull (run the line through the snatch block and anchor the hook back to your truck).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Red runnertc i didnt look at my guage. As far as my altenator/batteri Its only a red top optima (I know i need a yellowtop) with a 90 amp high output altenator. The hill was very steep,Id guess about 60 degrees. I do wish i used my snatch block. I had all 4 tires spinning as i was winching but this hill was pretty steep and very loose dirt so my winch did most of the work but i always help my winch by atleast spinning tires if i cant get traction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts