TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been hearing some sqeeking coming from my pullys for a while now (month and a half). I finally decided to look under the hood and see what was up and notice that the crank pully was shaking like mad. do i got a wrench on it... no dice, it was tight. I then remove the pully to take a closeer look at it..

when i took the pully off there was a little water (5 drops worth) and alot of dust. I checked behind and there were no fluids leaking. after looking at the crank for a minute i notice that it was oblonged... which is what casused the shaking. The friend/mechanic and i come to the conclusion that water must have seeped in there while i went through some puddles and what not, probably got in through the key way. and started to rust/ and losen the bolt... over time it led to oblonging the hole

The shaking of that pully i think/hope is why my check engine light has been going on and throwing a misfire code... shaking was tipping off the knock sensor..

any of this make sense... Anyone herd of anything like this before? anyone ever have there crank pully hole oblong? this all sounds really weird to me

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
if it turns out to be the pulley I have a stock one that I'll sell to you, just replaced it with a URD lightweight pulley. Just hope it's your pulley and not the crank itself.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one orded already... should be at the shop any minute now... I really dont think it could be the crank... but after all this... who knows

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
This could be very serious.

There is a very small woodruff key that locks both the crank pulley and the timing belt pulley to the crankshaft. If the pulley bolt loosens up and allows the crank pulley to move outward by less then 1/4" the pulley will disengage from the woodruff key and allow the crank to spin inside the pulley and tear both the crank and the pulley up.

Before you install the new pulley carefully inspect the crank nose for damage and also inspect the woodruff key. Make certain that those are in good shape before you install a new pulley.

I hope all is well and you can install the new pulley without any problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That happened to mine-I dont know if the bolt was loose or what but the pulley worked loose and sheared the key and boggered up the keyway in the crank-it was just as cheap to replace the engine as it was to buy new crank, seals, gasket, etc... and rebuild it. Of course I guess you could redneck it and just weld the pulley on the end of the crank and forgoe the key?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my woodruff key was ground to messed up as well...i orderd a new timing belt pully, the washers and woodruff key as well

the case covering all the timing stuff is suppse to be waterproof i thought!.. how did mud work its way in there?

i think i may put a bead of silicone on the outside of the timing case.. to really make sure its sealed from the elements.

this is my truck,i love it to death. but no way am i gonna drive it like a car. haha i am sure this will all work out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts