TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2000 Tundra, with the Access Cab.

I'm not going to get a new frame, at least not yet. My meager fabrication skills aren't worth screwing up a new frame. It's a great thought, but not for me at the moment.

It's more of a bulge than a warp, and it's just behind the cab, over the front hanger for the leaf spring. I want to put a foot for the bed cage there.

Would you bother heating & pounding it flat, or just leave it be, and build off it as-is? it's not a huge bulge, but it's obvious, and it's in a section constructed of two layers of roughly 11g steel, riveted together. No cracks that I can see, just warped. Both sides are equal & opposite...it's almost certainly from getting the suspension all crossed up in the rocks.

I'm leaning toward "fuck it, just build". Any reason not to?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
only reason I see not to address it is everything you put on the truck/build will not be square. You will have to adjust every measurment for appilances such as bed cages, bumpers etc for the differences in the frame rail lengths.

Is the frame twisted any at the bulge? if so that would further complicate any of the above mentioned.

Also in the long run your truck could get worse and possibly start "crabbing". may start causing excessive tire wear or worst yet, start putting your rear axle in a bind if the problem continues to worsen. But it doesn't sound like it is to that point yet.

have you considered taking the truck to a body shop with a frame rack for an estimate? I think in the long run it could be your best solution.

after the frame is straightened I would sandwich the affected area with plates on either side.

it's hard to visualize the extent of the damage without photos. so these are guesses so to speak

·
Registered
781 Posts
Like bear said id at least go check with some frame straighteners. Ive heard of a couple people getting a little frame tweak out for a couple hundred and a case of beer. Thats if y ou can find the right place. But $200ish is pretty cheap piece of mind to know that everything is straight.

If it is just a bulge, then i would hammer it just because i like things to be as straight as possible. Some pics could help us see if it looks like more than a bulge.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I can try to get a good shot of it later, but I'll try to describe better.

It's a bulge on the top of the C-channel, in the middle of the rise up to the back of the frame, and it's the same on both sides.

From what I can tell with a pair of digital levels, the frame isn't twisted tip to tail, and the...damage?...has been there for quite a while, prior to the last alignment, and the thrust angle is fine.

I don't really have a way to tell if the frame is bent up or down, but it doesn't appear to have any skew. The individual rails aft of the cab do have a twist, but it measures as an equal and opposite twist, and it's minimal.

The rear bumper and the rest of the tube has all been built to that twist (frame is level, but L/R rails are twisted inward a little), so I'm leaning toward just boxing over the bulge to distribute a load that I can't really land on a plate.

The best solution is just to get a new frame and add the tube to it, but it'd be covered in booger welds by the time I finished!

So...torch?

·
Registered
478 Posts
if your frame is like the tacomsa frame you get a little bow at the top of the C from beating on the trucks real hard right behind where the bed starts. I notices when i took my bed off to build stuff. I just hammered it down boxed in the section. Mine was just a small bump and it didn't worry me at all. depending on how big yours is i would just take a BFH and smoosh it down a little.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if your frame is like the tacomsa frame you get a little bow at the top of the C from beating on the trucks real hard right behind where the bed starts. I notices when i took my bed off to build stuff. I just hammered it down boxed in the section. Mine was just a small bump and it didn't worry me at all. depending on how big yours is i would just take a BFH and smoosh it down a little.
That is exactly what this is like...BFH coming up, then, and I needed a torch anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts