TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 prerunner, v6 at. I feel a vibration when braking at highway speeds. It is felt through the seat. My first thought was warped rotors. But, I was informed that warped rotors cause a vibration that can be felt throught the steering wheel. During braking, despite the vibration, my steering wheel remains still and the truck tracks straight. Any second opinions? Thankyou.

·
Registered
279 Posts
6vamocat said:
99 prerunner, v6 at. I feel a vibration when braking at highway speeds. It is felt through the seat. My first thought was warped rotors. But, I was informed that warped rotors cause a vibration that can be felt throught the steering wheel. During braking, despite the vibration, my steering wheel remains still and the truck tracks straight. Any second opinions? Thankyou.
Could be warped drums in the rear but that would usually be felt in the brake pedal. Are you feeling it in the pedal at all?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
If it's when braking, I'd bet rotor or bearings... if it happens any other tim try driveline? specifically, carrier bearing or ujoints? tire throw a weight? loose lugs? a TRE may appear as driveline vs. steering... I'd jack the front up and start with each tire (lugs/weights) and move in from there...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
akshunj said:
Could be warped drums in the rear but that would usually be felt in the brake pedal. Are you feeling it in the pedal at all?
I feel it slightly in the brake pedal, but no more than through my seat. Doesn't seem to pulsate or anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
valkyrie said:
If it's when braking, I'd bet rotor or bearings... if it happens any other tim try driveline? specifically, carrier bearing or ujoints? tire throw a weight? loose lugs? a TRE may appear as driveline vs. steering... I'd jack the front up and start with each tire (lugs/weights) and move in from there...
I did check for tire weights, and remounted the tires ensuring even torque down of the lug nuts. It only occurs during braking, but I will check the driveline components as you've recommended just in case. Incidentally, "TRE"...is that tie rod ends? Also, is there anyway of inspecting the rotors for warpage. Is there a special tool, or do I have to just get them turned. Likewise, are wearing bearings apparent from a visual inspection? Thankyou!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd check the runout on the rotors and the drums first. It won't hurt to give the wheels a shake to look for play in the bearings and steering like Chris said. The only reason I suspect drums is because you are not feeling it in the steering wheels, only in the pedal and seat.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
6vamocat said:
I feel it slightly in the brake pedal, but no more than through my seat. Doesn't seem to pulsate or anything.

I got the exact same symptoms! I was figuring it was a warped rotor as well, but with my truck it could also be as "King Taco" (Valkrie–I wish he would change his screen name to something easier to remember) suggested, a bad drum, since I have had a back tire fall off twice (Long story).

anyway,as it was mentioned start at the brakes and work inward. But I have a feeling that you have not changed your back shoes on your drums yet have you?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have 150k miles on my back brakes and there's still 1/2 of the shoe left. They hardly wear at all. The only problem I have had with my rear brakes is the little lever arms for the ebrake. They froze up on me a couple of times.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
akshunj said:
I have 150k miles on my back brakes and there's still 1/2 of the shoe left. They hardly wear at all. The only problem I have had with my rear brakes is the little lever arms for the ebrake. They froze up on me a couple of times.

I hear ya about the rear's are hardly used and rarely need to be replaced. But they do eventually need it. Mine didn't need it until about 160K. About the same time, my seals also went out and soaked the rear drums with brake fluid. That really made the shoes need to be replaced.

But I have also have had two inncodence that has caused that same wheel to come off the truck. the first was vandalism and the second one (I guess) was because I never retorked the lugs after replacing the (can you guess) the rear seals and brake shoes.

Luckly the second time the tire stayed on the truck and supported the weight of if long enough that my wife could pull over. She was being nice to me and decided to take it up to the car wash for me. Two hours later, I was able to rob enough lugs off the other three wheels and drive it home.

But I need to replace the rear shoes again, because the second time did chip some of the pads off the shoes. I am sure it isn't going to be pretty when I decide to look into the rear drum.

·
Registered
205 Posts
6vamocat said:
Also, is there anyway of inspecting the rotors for warpage. Is there a special tool, or do I have to just get them turned. Likewise, are wearing bearings apparent from a visual inspection? Thankyou!
A good way to check for warped rotors is to jack up the front wheels and spin the tires by hand. If it`s warped you will be able to see the wheel slow down in a certain spot.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You should look for any sign of gear oil leaking from the rear into the rear brake assembly. If gear lube gets on the shoes or the drum that is one why it will present.

You can drive down the road and slowly pull up on your parking brake and see if you get the same sensation.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same specs as you, and having the same problem. I'm 99% sure its in the front. The entire front vibrates under braking from highway speed (seat, wheel, shifter; I can watch the hood vibrate). Under light/Med braking from <40mph there is nothing. Warped rotary was my first thought. Truck only has 108k miles though, and rotate were resurfaced at 90k. Botched job maybe?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts