TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, no I didn't use the search feature, mainly because I am almost certain that this doesn't happen very often and because I want to have responses to this issue only. If there has been similar posts, then I apologize, and you can give me all the crap you want for not searching.

Anyway, I just completed a manual hub conversion on my truck. I bought new bearings and axles, got new snap rings, lock nuts etc.., and I got the hubs off a used truck and took them out of the old spindles. I took my spindles into Las Cruces Toyota to have the old hubs and bearings pressed out and the new ones pressed in. Shortly after that, we went off roading, doing nothing major (my truck is still stock, so it can do a whole lot yet), and I managed to some how break the bearing on my driver side. I say that because when I turn the wheel the rotor rubs the calipers and if I jack the truck up, the hubs are loose in the spindles.

I say this is weird because when I got my truck, it displayed the same exact characteristics. The history of the truck is that it was in a wreck and has a salvage title, however, the guy I bought it from specializes in rebuilding mildly wrecked vehicles. Not sure about the specifics of the wreck, but it did do a number on the driver side. I didn't realize it until a while after I bought the truck that the driver side hub was loose in the spindle.

So, any ideas on why I would go through bearings like that? Again, when I did the conversion, the bearings were brand new, OEM Timken bearings specific for Tacoma's. My friend thinks it a due to a warped spindle, would that be a possiblity? Well in any case I need to find a solution, because I can't afford to buy new bearings every time I go off roading. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I will beat money it is the spindle.. My buddy had the VERY SAME PROBLEM. He bought a mild wreaked truck that was rebuilt by people that do it for a living and he kept having problems with the bearings, and steering and wear and tear on his tires. Found one of his spindles was warped or bent. I would say just look in the parts section and you can find used spindles for 40$ all the time. Good luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
dont forget to change your blinker fluid... I let mine get past 60K and I paid the price with having to buy a whole new front blinker setup..ouch

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bigblacktoy03 said:
dont forget to change your blinker fluid... I let mine get past 60K and I paid the price with having to buy a whole new front blinker setup..ouch

I usually just top off my blinker fluid, guess I should change it too. Thanks for the advice. So is it the actual bearing housing that warps or is it something else that causes the force on the bearing to not be equally distributed?

·
Registered
233 Posts
well on his i am not sure.. I just know he had problems with his front end to include bearings all the time.. He told me his spindle was bent from the accident and he needed a new one. After he got the new one no more problems. This sounds like a possablility for you and you can pick up some spindles on here for $40 or less. I think i just saw a pair for sale for $5.00 in thr parts section. Just get some new ones and see if this fixes it. I would guess with his it did not seat right in the spindles and caused extra heat, friction, and pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts