TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone elses washer fluid bottle started rotting away. Mine started about 2 years ago. Now it will not hold any water at all. I never used the blue washer fuid they sell for it. I usually only put tap water in it, but some time I used purified water from my water treatment system so it wouldnt spot up.
If so, is there anything to do, but buy another from Toyota.Also does anyone know what causes this...plastic cancer. :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
I havent had a problem in any of the vehicles my family has owned by using water.

The blue stuff is just so it doesn't freeze over.

Sure, we've had mineral buildup in the bottle, but not rotting.

I puloled a 1975 Chevy C10 out of my dads shop to partly restore it so I could drive it. It was sitting in the same spot for about 10 years, with water in the washer bottle and rad overflow bottle. Just some minot mineral builup, but nothing a nozzle and a hose couldnt handle..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
722 Posts
Not true. The blue stuff in Tucson freezes at 32 just as water does. It's a cleaner. but who knows why it rotted, the tree huggers are convinced that plastic doesn't degrade, but apparently it only takes some tap water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
I've got one out of an 01 I'll sell ya.
Need to figure out what parts of the wires and stuff I need to retrofit another one to work in mine, but otherwise the physical container you can have for a reasonable price, I'm sure- if it will fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the 1st vehicle I have had that this was an issue. But it is litterally falling apart. Kind of like it was sitting out in the sun and was damaged by UV rays.
I know I will need to buy a new one, I just was curious if it was just minezes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wes said:
I've got one out of an 01 I'll sell ya.
Need to figure out what parts of the wires and stuff I need to retrofit another one to work in mine, but otherwise the physical container you can have for a reasonable price, I'm sure- if it will fit.
Why are you taking yours out? I am interested . Send me a pm with $$ and shipping. I will check the fit .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
are you the original owner?i would put money on that someone put antifreeze or some other chemical in there by accident and it just ate it over time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
Mine went bad during the 1st couple years of ownership, I was changing my Oil and tried to top off the W/W Reservoir and I noticed it leaking all over the ground, they replaced it under Warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
could it be the chlorine in the tap water?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
nation said:
are you the original owner?i would put money on that someone put antifreeze or some other chemical in there by accident and it just ate it over time
Im the only owner. I usually put purified water in it from where I work, so it very seldom ever got chlorine even..

Hey Wes...I am trying tofind out if the '01 will fit in my '97...I will get back with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
my2coma said:
Im the only owner. I usually put purified water in it from where I work, so it very seldom ever got chlorine even..

Hey Wes...I am trying tofind out if the '01 will fit in my '97...I will get back with you.
Weird, I'm still using my original 93 tank now, I did have to replace the rubber gasket around the pump hole recently and now I'm even running 50% methanol in it for WI. I'd think twice about drinking that purified water at work if I were you. lol :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
my2coma said:
Im the only owner. I usually put purified water in it from where I work, so it very seldom ever got chlorine even..
I was going to post up that it is the hard, mineral filled Texas water, but if you only add purified water that shoots that theory out of the water (pun intended)

My '97 spent most of it's life in Texas and the only problem I have had with it was the holes I put in it due to "operator error" and some self tapping screws!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Rebuilt98 said:
Not true. The blue stuff in Tucson freezes at 32 just as water does. It's a cleaner. but who knows why it rotted, the tree huggers are convinced that plastic doesn't degrade, but apparently it only takes some tap water.
Well I would wager its where you live as in the North East like me, they blue washer fluid has a antifreese agent in it. It stays well below 32 degrees f and 0 degrees C for much of the winter. We have had spells where it didnt get above 0 degree for a few weeks at a time.


Mine has leaked ever since I have owned it(second owner 4+ years). Mine leaks in the little black tube that goes to the pump at the bottom. I have siliconed it twice which slowed it down but still leaks some but not so much I worry. I choose the Blue stuff as bugs clean better with it and in the winter it doesnt freeze. LOL blue snow was a new one for me when I saw it.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top