TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a ton of searching on this and haven't had any luck figuring out where this is coming from. I went out to my truck (03 Xtra cab) yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, got in it, and it smelled a little musty. I checked around and found that the carpet on the passenger side front was completely soaked. I haven't driven it in weeks, so it's not the AC leaking, and all of the windows were up so it's not rain dripping, so I'm thinking it is a gasket somewhere. I pulled the carpet up, turned on the garden hose, and soaked the truck to see if I could tell where it was coming from, no luck, this sucks!!! I saw that there was a TSB for a leaking seal somewhere up front, but I can't get it to leak with the hose, any suggestions to figure out where this water is coming in???

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
are you sure it isn't coolant? If so, then your heater core could be leaking.

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah its prob the heater core I had an S10 that it went bad in.
I live in florida so i dont really need the heat, so i just ran a bypass fitting and forgot about it. the dealer quoted me something like $900 with labor.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Extra cab like to leak on the passenger side. Sometimes its a rear window, sometimes its a wire that someone ran for lights and didnt seal, sometimes it is on the firewall, and could be a heater core. It would smell sweet and not musty though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My old 03 taco had the same problem. it was a clogged ac condensate drain line. the water would pool up, and every time I would turn sharp it would dump out, sometimes on my feet and sometimes on the pass. side. Perhaps check for that. Once i freed the clog, it dumped out on the header.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's strange because like I said, I haven't driven it in weeks, havent used the ac or defrost in a long time, shouldn't be a clogged ac line, and it's def not coolant, that has a destinct smell, and this is definately a musty water smell. I'll have to check the ac drain plug and make sure it's not clogged just so I can definately rule that out. I do have some wires running through a gromet on the firewall, but its sealed with silicone, and it's on the drivers side, not the passenger side. There's no water on the floor in the back, so it's not coming from the rear window. I could see having some condensation, but this is a puddle in a concentrated location, I don't think condensation is the answer, if you saw the amount of water, I think you'd agree.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You have left a lot of varibles open. The moister could have been their before you park for 2 weeks. With the windows closed, mildew could have started. If the truck was parked at an angle, the water could have come from anywhere and gathered in the right front passenger area. How much rain have you gotten lately. How strong was the wind? What directionns was it coming from? (The reason I'm asking is a couple years ago my wife parked her 04 Seinna with the rear hatch toward the wind and rain. That night we had 65+ MPH winds and rain seeped in throw the rear seal. Now she parks the front towards the wind when it rains and we have never had the problem again.) You say your in the Jersey area. Snow can buildup and get in too with a door not closed all the way, or a window not completely closed all the way? With the truck parked for 2 weeks it can be hard to tell. Time does make a different. If it's from the coolent system, check you level. I've never had any problems with my 03 DC. I know this isn't much help, just more the think about.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Mine did it for a while, then quit. Maybe it was a summer AC - condensation thing... I dunno.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's true, I don't know how long the water has been there, long enough to stink up my truck, but not evaporate. We have had a little rain and snow over the past couple of weeks, but not a ton, and I can't remember it being windy recently. And the trucks been parked on level ground.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had the exact same problem as you are having. My truck was still under warranty at the time so I took it back to the dealer. Turned out there is a TSB for this problem. There were some welds/seams that were not properly sealed at the factory. They removed the front fender and sealed all of the seams with the "factory sealant". The water was from rain or anytime you may have washed your truck. It would flow off of the windshield, down the passenger side pillar and pool on the passenger side floor. It gets even more musty as you drive because the CAT is located directly under that area and it heats the water up. Several years later and I've not had that problem come back.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If it is related to a TCB then Toyota should fix for free. Haven't see one on the recall/defect web pages so far. I check about every 2 months or so to make sure my 03 is not invloved with them Here is the web page

http://www.recalls.gov/nhtsa.html

Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
351 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
If it is related to a TCB then Toyota should fix for free. Haven't see one on the recall/defect web pages so far. I check about every 2 months or so to make sure my 03 is not invloved with them Here is the web page

http://www.recalls.gov/nhtsa.html

Hope this helps you out
If you are out of warranty, Toyota probably WON'T fix it free. TSB's are different than recalls.
My truck is an '02 and I'm just going on what the technician said about the TSB. But I did actually see the instruction sheet he was working off of to fix my water leak. Unfortunately, I don't have a TSB number or anything.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yes TSB is Technical Service Bulliton for shop use only. It also is used because it is a problem that is identified and a repitable dealer should honor this as a problem?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If/when I find the leak, I'll give the dealership a shot, I have the extended warranty through 4/09 or 100K, and I'm only at 70K right now, so it's worth a shot. I just have to keep pouring water all over the truck until I figure out where it's coming from. BTW, it's not the AC line, it's totally clean, and drips like a champ...

Thanks for all the replies everyone...

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 1998 Tacoma did the exact same thing. Passenger floorboard would be soaked. I hunted and hunted for weeks, I finally found the problem to be the windshield seal. The windshield was replaced with a PPG unit before I got the truck and the silicone in the lower right corner was not applied properly. The windshield, and the actual rubber seal is fine. The windshield never did leak anywhere that was obvious, nor could I hear any wind noise at speed that is normally associated with a leaking windshield. I pulled the windshield out, cleaned all of the old silicone off, and re-applied a new bead. Re-set the windshield, let it dry for a day, and the problem has been gone now for 6 months.

I did it myself because here in Germany two different places wanted 250-300 Euro (almost 400 dollars) just to pull out the windshield, clean off old silicone, and re-apply just like I did. Told them to get bent. My neighbor and I had the widnshield out and back in, in less than 2 hours. It was a breeze.

Just another area/option to check, especially if youve ever had the windshield replaced?

~James

·
Registered
444 Posts
interesting that so many people have a similar problem. i bought my truck before i moved home, so it sat for a few months - aside from being warmed up every week or so, or driven around the block on occasion, it mostly just hung out in my garage... when i did get home, i noticed my speaker box that i had put in had the "white fuzzys" - looked like a loaf of old bread. needless to say, it was stink. drivers side floor was dry, but passenger side = damp to touch. i noticed beads of water that had condensated on the underside of the passenger side rubber floor mat. i lugged my big-ass dehumidifier out and into my truck - plugged it in and let it run for a day.

every now and again, i get the damp carpet and condensation under the rubber floor mat, and it friggen drives me bonkers. i peeked under the carpet and it's as dry as dry can be - no signs of water pooling up there, so i figure it can't be a leak - no water under the carpet, and the only area that is damp is the area under the floor mat. i have come to the (possibly inaccurate) conclusion that because it is really humid here, the moisture that's trapped in my truck condensates under the floor mat with the heat of the exhaust. i just run my dehumidifier in my truck every now and again...

i'm interested in the TSB though - if anybody has the info on it....

now that i think about it, my gt-s had the same problem back in the day, only the water was condensating in the spare tire well... what i'd give to get my kyu-ni back!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was going to recommend checking the AC drip hose....right under the passenger fender....but you have ruled that out....it sounds exactly as to what happened in my truck....it was also parked for a week but since it would leak during turns i would not hear it, so the water stayed on the carpet and didnt dry since the windows were up and it was parked in a garage. it was simply just mud that had clogged the pipe. good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem w/ my 03 Taco since I purchased it 7 months ago. The carpet on the passenger's side floor gets damp. I took it to the dealer with an actual copy of the TSB detailing the fix. After hanging on to my truck for 2 days the dealer says they can't replicate the problem using a garden hose (never mentions the TSB again). They wind up changing the passenger's side door seal/gasket, but the damp spot re appears.

I think Footpounds is right on the money. Now I just need to know how I can get the dealer to perform the TSB. I purchased the truck used from a Toyota dealer and it is "certified" but I think after 90 days any warranty covers only the drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts