TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i searched and couldnt find something like the same situation.

I have the luxury of being buddies with the Service manager at the Valdosta stealership. I was checking out a nice taco that in was interested in over the weekend, so i asked him if he would mind having the truck taken in the shop and having the diffs, trans, and suspension more closely looked over before i got serious.

Off track for a sec, this stealership just got out of a nasty arbitration with an 05 taco that had been wheeled like hell, then the owner of the truck wanted stuff to be covered under warranty. I say this, because i think the whole stealership has been put on edge about trucks with mud under them.

Today, he called me and said he had his techs look through the truck. They reported that there was water in the diffs so therefore it was a POS that had been ragged out. Now, i'm no genus but i have never heard of his on the site or just talking with wheelin buddies.

Has anyone ever heard of water in the diffs? Should it be that big of a concern?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
water in the diffs means the diff somehow injested water, usually its through the breather or the pinion seal

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jimbo74 said:
water in the diffs means the diff somehow injested water, usually its through the breather or the pinion seal
which basically means that this truck was wheeled and is prolly ragged out?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
its a dealership, they do not want to work on anything that might have problems... you should see how many dirty looks i get when i roll in with my 20+ year old truck....

water in the diffs means you got water in the diffs, probably by submersion in water... if you plan to submerge the damn thing in water, you need to expect that it is going to ingest water....

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
Or at some time or another it sat or drove into water that was almost to the top of the tires. Possible Katrina vehicle?

So yeah, I'd steer clear. Who knows what other problems may be lurking on that truck.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ShowStop said:
Or at some time or another it sat or drove into water that was almost to the top of the tires. Possible Katrina vehicle?

So yeah, I'd steer clear. Who knows what other problems may be lurking on that truck.
thats exactly what i was thinking...

thanks a lot for ya'lls help!!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Do '05's have extended diff breathers?

It doesn't take water over the tires - just up to the top of the diff. It's not good, but water in the diff is not uncommon ...

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a deal breaker, but it sure is a "look elsewhere".

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RedRunnertc said:
Do '05's have extended diff breathers?

It doesn't take water over the tires - just up to the top of the diff. It's not good, but water in the diff is not uncommon ...

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a deal breaker, but it sure is a "look elsewhere".
this was an 01. They had problems with an 05. Do 05's not have diff breathers?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Sorry - read the '05 in your post and went with that :doh:

The diff breather is there so you don't pressurize the diff when it heats up and blow gear oil past the seals. Unfortunately, when you enter water and cool the diff down really fast, that same function causes the diff to suck in air (and water if it's there) really quick to fill the vacuum.

If you wheel without extended breathers, you WILL get water in the diffs eventually. (Note: they don't need to be extended to the roofline like a snorkel - just high enough that the diff will be cooled down by the time the breather is underwater)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RedRunnertc said:
Sorry - read the '05 in your post and went with that :doh:

The diff breather is there so you don't pressurize the diff when it heats up and blow gear oil past the seals. Unfortunately, when you enter water and cool the diff down really fast, that same function causes the diff to suck in air (and water if it's there) really quick to fill the vacuum.

If you wheel without extended breathers, you WILL get water in the diffs eventually. (Note: they don't need to be extended to the roofline like a snorkel - just high enough that the diff will be cooled down by the time the breather is underwater)

is an extended breather something i should buy and add? Aftermarket?

i have never heard of this before... :confused:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thankss a lot for your help!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Like was mentioned water in the diffs happens..........especially for those of us who don't have the luxury of wheeling on dry rocks all the time like those out west..........I try to avoid mud at almost any cost........water even more so but there have still been times when the gear oil in my truck has looked milky.........

the biggest thing is not that it is in there it i HOW LONG has it been in there??

I would not neccesarily run from the truck.........how much will they knock off the price since it is "junk"...........if they will sell it cheap enough that you could have both axles rebuilt if required and still come out cheaper than what is a fair price then it could be worth while

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I had water in my front diff recently... The bonehead that did my regear forgot to reinstall the the breather tube at the front diff :rolleyes:...

It's not necessarily the death of a diff...

It is a sign of maintenance neglect though...

But I'd be more worried as to what might be in the gearboxes...

If you play in mud and water... it's something to check everytime you run through the deep shiat...

I don't believe this would scare me off off a purchase... If I'm getting a good deal... If it's not that good of a deal... then I'd look for something else...

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:

This is typically one of the first mods done to an off road truck. All it takes is some extra fuel line and a few hose clamps.

For a few bucks you have insurance over a couple hundred to a thousand dollar repair bill.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:

The front diff should already have the extension... factory...

The rear is the one that needs attention...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TacoDell said:
The front diff should already have the extension... factory...

The rear is the one that needs attention...
do all the 01-04 bodystyle tacos have a stock front extension?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts