TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the obvious answer to how water got into my 98 V6 manual tranny is directly related to the depth of the streams I cross but I can't remember getting that deep. I have never been deep enough to get water inside or up to the door for that matter. The oil in my transfer case is fine. The oil in my rear diff is also fine, but I had moved the breather valve up long before this problem. Has anyone had water enter in their tranny through the front transmission seal? Or through the stick shifter hole? Or am I missing something obvious. Any suggestions will help because I believe a replacement is in order and I don't want this problem again.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i had my 2nd gear syncro got bad becuz of failure to flush it, id highly recommend doing it, cuz i had to get a whole new transmission cuz it ruined my gears

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that water in the tranny is not conducive to a long service life. I was curious about any trends where a transmission can allow water into it but not have an obvious place where oil can leak out of it. Is there a breather valve on the tranny and if so, can it allow water or condensation in if it is broke somehow. The freaky part to me is that my transfer case oil is fine. It seems to me that if I did submerge one of them enough to get water in it, then the other should also have water. Thanks for your comments.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,528 Posts
Places for water to get in your tranny:
Input shaft
Output shaft (between tranny & transfer)
Drain/fill plugs
shifter lever/flange
breather valve (on top, just behind shifter)
breather cross-over line (rubber hose from tranny shifter to transfer shifter)
bad seal in split case

Thats about it. I'd guess either water got in the bellhousing and through the input shaft (not very likely) or up on top and through the shifter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You for the input. I guess it is time to pull the back of my pants half way down my butt and do some plumbing work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts