TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you have to remove the water pump to replace the timming belt on a 3.4L v6? Someone at work asked me and I thought it might be quicker to post than to look it up.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
you dont have to but its a good idea to replace the pump while you have it all apart

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
RJ is right. The timing belt turns the water pump. It definitely does not -need- to be removed but if you're all of the way in there, why not just replace it? I think it's a $30 part.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigBadBob0 said:
RJ is right. The timing belt turns the water pump. It definitely does not -need- to be removed but if you're all of the way in there, why not just replace it? I think it's a $30 part.
I think i am going to reaplce the timming belt next weekend. Any advice other than replacing the water pump? Am I going to need any special tools?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
CMB1998 said:
I think i am going to reaplce the timming belt next weekend. Any advice other than replacing the water pump? Am I going to need any special tools?

Thanks,

Chris

yes, it helps alot to have the right tools
check out mikes writeup
http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
You need a torque wrench good to something like 220lb*ft. And check out Mike's page. The SST for the timing belt tensioner is really nice. If you don't have it you have to take off the AC compressor to remove the tensioner to compress it with a press to insert a pin. All the while that fancy little SST let's you compress it on the truck. That big huge tool that Mike has to hold the crank pulley still while pushing 220lb*ft to the crank pulley bolt is also very helpful. Also make sure you know your right from your left. You'll see what I mean :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
BigBadBob0
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing