TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the temputure droped lower than usual 9 degrees. Anyway this morning I woke up to no water. I have a well to get my water from. I assume the water lines froze. I am going to try to thaw them out and work on insulating my well better. If the lines freeze does that always mean the lines burst?

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
They can burst. Go to Home Depot and start insulating the lines pronto. I wouldn't worry too much about the well freezing.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Go get an electric pipe wrap. Wire it up with a switch off the power for your well pump. I can remember many times in Michigan winters having frozen pipes (even when insulated) until we did this. It's a low current draw and keeps the pipes from freezing regardless of how cold it gets. We would simply turn it on when the temps dropped.

·
Registered
115 Posts
x2 on the electric heater tape, I have to do this for my oil tank as it sits in the backyard. On mornings in the single digits the oil won't flow w/o a little heat.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
heater tape around the pipe and then spend the money and get the good pipe insulation to put around that. if its buried between the well and the house underground then you will want to wrap the insulation up with 10mil tape after that..... the poor mans fix until you can get that all done is let a faucet somewhere in the house run thru the night..... should be enough movement to keep it from freezing the outside line

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
When I lived in Ohio (near Steubenville), the pipes heading upstairs would freeze every time it was really cold unless you left a faucet dripping, and they never burst. I think I was lucky because it was a vertical section of pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts