TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 1999 Ext. cab Tacoma with a 3.4 and I was doing an oil change on it. I have been reading up on synthetic oil for a while and I gave it a shot. Mobil 1 5W-30 and a Mobil 1 filter. Oil change went smooth, I got the filter from the wheel well, like everyone says to do. I broke two of the stupid plastic clips holding the inner plastic fender on though.

Well I went to pour the oil back into the jug and HOLY SHIT I have way to much oil to fit the in the 6 quarts of empty bottles.
I found and empty jug around the house and I ended up with just OVER 8 QUARTS of oil??

Is that bad? What potentially could it have done to the motor? Should I be worried? I never noticed anything wrong.

Oh, oil was last changed at Wal-Mart before I bought it and the invoice said they put in 5.4 quarts.

Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
you should be most concerned about what they drained thinking it was the motor oil and never refilled...

·
Registered
215 Posts
i worked at wallymart for a while....never trusted them to touch any of my friends or families cars...those guys dicked around toooo much...

·
Registered
138 Posts
yeah, sounds like they forgot to drain the oil... they may have drained something else.... as far as what too much oil can to, it can tear shit up inside pretty bad, but i dont think you had near enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Yeah too much oil can definitely cause some damage. Nowhere else for that oil to go but up in the engine. I wouldn't do it again. I'd start to wonder what they drained :confused:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Did the oil look muddy or watery?

If you had a head gasket leak, your oil level might go up... and your coolant level down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the respones. I will check all the other fluids and Wal Mart is never going near my truck again.

The oil was pretty black when I took it out, however I have changed oil before and it was nothing different from anyting else I have seen as far as texture and appearance goes.

Thanks again

·
Registered
268 Posts
Too much oil will allow the crank to actually whip up a foamy froth which will then expand and find a way out. You apparently didn't have this condition because the truck was still running normally. Check all the other fluids and hope for the best since there isn't anything you can do about it anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts