TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody ive noticed a very odd sound coming from the the passanger side in the front of my truck. Its a 99' tacoma 3inch lift 31's 4wd 2.7. This sound only comes when i am backing up in either 2wd or 4wd. It sounds a lot like my tires rubbing really bad on the body, but of course thats not possible. The crazy thing is I had Jenn stand outside while i backed up again and again trying to get the sound to come, and when it did she couldnt see anything moving around/rubbing scraping. The sound isnt consistant but it causes a lot of vibration in the passanger side floorboards and makes a horrid noise. Doesnt happen every time im backing up but at least a few times a day and usually only while im turning and backing at the same time. Seems worse sometimes when im in 4wd. Any suggestions as to what it could be?
Thanks
ryan

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Just a guess, but could the CVs be causing this if the lift is too great?

Seems like a possibility if you have ADD.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
My truck does this. I believe it is the cat and exhaust vibrating against the floor pan/heat shields.

May be b/c of worn out hangers? The rubber part. IDK I havent bothered to do anything to fix it yet. But Im pretty sure what I said above is the cause of the noise.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that makes so much sense!!!! my exhaust had broken off recently a little bit after the cat... and the noises started after that! thanks for the adivce.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would agree with got cope, the exhaust can make some funny noises. Plus that runs right under the passenger side. I have an exhaust leak that (dont ask me how) comes and goes and sounds really messed up. I am going to fix it but havent gotten around to putting the new cat and gaskets on (they are rusted in place so it will take a little work).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
DentedTacoma
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing