TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wasnt entirely sure what folder to put this in so sorry if its in the wrong one. anyways i have a soft squeek on my truck that starts at about 20 mph and goes away under 20. its a consistent tone not altered by speed or engine rpm's, the pitch doesnt rise and fall. hitting the brakes doesnt affect the pitch of the squeek either. could it be a wear indicator in the drums on the rear maybe?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
is it comming from the front or the rear of the truck?

Maybe wheel bearings going bad, or could be the break indicators...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I'd take the rear apart and start lookn'... could be bearings, breaks, drums, etc. etc... just search for it all... Fluid levels!!... all of it... Sorry it wasn't specific... but that's about wha'd I'd do... :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got the rear brakes czeched and its not them. i washed the underneath of the truck pretty well to get everything off and it still does it. it seemed to die though when the underside of the truck was freshly wet and came back as it dried while i was driving. ahhh its annoying!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Brakes will make noise when applied and for a short time after. Have you made a mod to your rig recently. This could affect the air flow around it. Which can mean noise.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a squeek. not a whistle. and the noise it exactly the same now as it was before i got the brakes czeched.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Drive shaft carrier bearing. The one in the middle. The rubber gets weak and the shaft starts to rub on it just a little. Makes a noise very similar to the one you are talking about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Dude said:
i replaced that about 2 months ago.
I replaced the one on my '92 with a Napa part and it squeaked from about 3,000 miles till about 40,000 when I sold the truck.

I replaced one on a friend 2001 Taco and his squeaked almost right away. He took it off, turned it around and the squeaking was fixed.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
weird. did his stop at about 20 miles an hour or stop under any speed?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Dude said:
weird. did his stop at about 20 miles an hour or stop under any speed?
It was just about all the time above 15mph or so. Same thing on my '92 but that one could not be installed backwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts