TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive been having a weird problem with my truck latley. its a 2000 4x4 v6 automatic. the problem happens when i go to start my truck. it does it hot, it does it cold, makes no difference. its not the normal starter clicking issue. what happens is when i go to turn the truck over, it cranks over fine, then right as the motor is about to fire up, it seems like either the starter skips or sticks. you can hear the starter load up a bit. when that happens, i imediatley turn the key back to off, then i go to start it again and it fires up perfectly normal. :confused:

has this happened to anybody before? whats the fix? is my starter just going out? time to replace it?

thanks

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
drabnor said:
then right as the motor is about to fire up, it seems like either the starter skips or sticks. you can hear the starter load up a bit.
So the starter stays engaged after the engine starts and winds up with the speed of the engine? The starter will stay like this until you shut off the engine?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
drabnor said:
hey guys, ive been having a weird problem with my truck latley. its a 2000 4x4 v6 automatic. the problem happens when i go to start my truck. it does it hot, it does it cold, makes no difference. its not the normal starter clicking issue. what happens is when i go to turn the truck over, it cranks over fine, then right as the motor is about to fire up, it seems like either the starter skips or sticks. you can hear the starter load up a bit. when that happens, i imediatley turn the key back to off, then i go to start it again and it fires up perfectly normal. :confused:

has this happened to anybody before? whats the fix? is my starter just going out? time to replace it?

thanks
sounds like bendix drive sticking.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ShowStop said:
So the starter stays engaged after the engine starts and winds up with the speed of the engine? The starter will stay like this until you shut off the engine?
no, the engine does not start, the starter feels like its hanging up. once i feel that, i turn the key back to off, then go to start it again and it starts up fine

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grumpy said:
sounds like bendix drive sticking.
what exactly is the bendix drive? ive never heard of that term before. is it something that can be repaired or replaced or am i looking at a whole new starter?

thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
drabnor said:
what exactly is the bendix drive? ive never heard of that term before. is it something that can be repaired or replaced or am i looking at a whole new starter?

thanks for the info
that the way I've always heard it referred to as. its the part that extends and spins the flywheel when the key is turned to start.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The starter should not be going out already. What do you mean by loading up? Does it make any noise at all when the engine is about to fire?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
USAFTaco said:
The starter should not be going out already. What do you mean by loading up? Does it make any noise at all when the engine is about to fire?
i do have about 110,000 miles on my truck

the starter has gotten stuck "on" before and i had to hit it with a wrench but that hasnt happened in at least a year

the starter does make some noise when this happens. it sounds just like i described, the normal starter noise, then right as the engine is about to fire it just sounds like its straining/binding. when i hear it, i turn the key back to off. after i go back to off, i crank it over again and it starts up just fine

i suppose i should pull the sucker off and inspect the drive mechanisms

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
grumpy said:
that the way I've always heard it referred to as. its the part that extends and spins the flywheel when the key is turned to start.
do you know if it is replaceable or is it new starter time?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
The starter is really simple. When you turn the key to start the engine, you send voltage to the starter solenoid which actuates the solenoid and pushes the pinion gear out to engage the flywheel. At the same time the permanent magnet is powered and the motor (starter) begins to spin and turns the motor over to fire it.

Just to get this perfectly clear:

Every time you try to start your engine, you turn the key, the engine cranks, and the starter makes noise. You don't start the engine.
Then you try it again and the motor starts normally, every time.
Correct?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AK98Taco said:
Just to get this perfectly clear:

Every time you try to start your engine, you turn the key, the engine cranks, and the starter makes noise. You don't start the engine.
Then you try it again and the motor starts normally, every time.
Correct?
no, this problem does not happen every time, id say out of the last 30-40 times ive started the truck its done it 4 or 5 times.

the rest is right on.
i turn the key, engine cranks, starter makes werid straining/binding sound, engine does not start, i turn key back to off. turn key back to start and engine fires up like nothing ever happened

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
drabnor said:
no, this problem does not happen every time, id say out of the last 30-40 times ive started the truck its done it 4 or 5 times.

the rest is right on.
i turn the key, engine cranks, starter makes werid straining/binding sound, engine does not start, i turn key back to off. turn key back to start and engine fires up like nothing ever happened
I understand. Intermittent problems like this can be very difficult to pinpoint.

My first truck, an '83 GMC Sierra 6.2 diesel had a problem where the main wiring harness kept losing power. There was a nut that retained the harness to the starter, and when it came loose (did it twice), the engine would not crank and it was as if the battery had been pulled from the vehicle. Took a long time under the truck to figure it out as nothing was visibly wrong.

I'm emailing you everything I can find on the starter system, including some testing steps.

If you have some time to pull the starter and go over it, do so.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
drabnor said:

the rest is right on.
Sounds like the gears in the starter is going to be the issue. A bent flex plate or missing teeth could also contribute to the problem, but its likely to be the starter. A quick tear down will tell the tail...

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks man, i printed out all of that stuff and im going to go over it tonight to see what i can find

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ShowStop said:
Sounds like the gears in the starter is going to be the issue. A bent flex plate or missing teeth could also contribute to the problem, but its likely to be the starter. A quick tear down will tell the tail...
yup, thats what i was figuring. i just hope its nothing too major

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i pulled the starter and replaced both contacts and the plunger. they were all prety worn out. looked at the gear and it looked great, no missing teeth, no unusual wear marks or anything like that. turned it and it came out nice and smooth, just like it should.

put it all back together and it started fine, then...

the truck did the same thing again.

when i go to turn the truck over, it cranks over fine, then right as the motor is about to fire up, it seems like either the starter skips or sticks. you can hear the starter load up a bit.

turn the key off then start it again and it fires up perfectly normal. :confused: :banghead: :confused: :banghead: :confused: :banghead:

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, now the stupid thing is doing something else. i went to start it up and it just cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked, must've cranked for 10-15 seconds. didnt fire up. tried it again and it just cranked and cranked untill i hit the gas and then it fired up.

i wonder if it just needs to be tuned really badly. it doesnt seem to be the starter at all, it sounds nice and healthy.

i cant think of any other reason it wouldnt start untill i hit the gas, can any of you guys?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
16 Participants
TheIglu
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing