TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a weird tire wear on my fronts. I know this is probably my alignment but at the same time I just put these tires on when I removed the front lift blocks and had a front end alignment which was only maybe 10,000 miles ago. Is that a long time to go b/t alignments? Is it common to loose an alignment that fast? You will see the partial lug wear that has me questioning what is causing it. In the field of lugs, some are worn down while the ones right next to it are fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Well........first thing first........that is about normal for those Yokahama's.......they don't wear even no matter what you do...........2. how often do you rotate them.......you should be doing it every 5k.........3. yes your alignment is off......the toe is out........4. how are your front shocks......my money is on them getting week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent been rotating every 5K b/c I recently (3 months) moved into an apartment with no where to jack my truck. Trying to get to a place is tough as work 6a-9p everyday. It is on my list of things to do this Memorial Day off. Alignment not surprising. Front shocks would surprise me. They have about 25K on them, mostly highway, not much off road.

The backs have been wearing excellent so far. Is it just the side shears that cause these Yoko fronts to wear funny?

So pretty much the best I can do is get an alignment and rotate the tires?

Thanks for the reply.

Matt

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The biggest thing is rotation...........the alignment is probly out but if you keep them rotated it won't really be that big an issue........alot of places will rotate your tires for 10-15$ and it is money well spent cause it saves your tires.

As for why those Yokahama's do that......I am not sure but it seems like every set Im see is like that.........they are a great tire they just wear really funny.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
So what vehicle are these tires on ?
Yer sig says something different for the Taco :confused:

First off... it doesn't look like toe wear or it would be feathered... Usually starting from the outside in...

This looks more like worn shocks and over inflation or even worn suspension components like ball joints, wheel bearings and so forth... What shocks are up front ?.. Are they old ?.. Leaking ? Just tired ? (Didn't see that on your sig either... blocks :confused: )
Here's a link that has some pics... It's for big rig tires... but the general wear patterns are shown... and described... looky

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went and had it rotated and balanced today. Balance was way off, had to add 8oz. to one of them and 4oz. to the other. Was also going to have them do the alignment but they said the tie rods are whooped. Figures that is probably what is causing the truck to fall out of alignment so fast. Can't do the alignment till that is done. Checking the couch for quarters.

The pic is of the truck in my signature. I took the Trxus' off a little while back to try and save on fuel. These mags came on the truck when I bought it so i just put some new rubber on and has saved me a bit on fuel. At the same time I put these tires on, I removed my front lift blocks and the rear shackles. Basically I neutered all the way around :( Ball joints top and bottom are all new a few months ago and like I said front shocks have maybe 25K on them and they don't seem to bounce on me.

I have another thread going about what I need to upgrade to as I am starting to haul a 5000lb trailer around a lot and the transmission hasn't been to happy about it. So all these problems are somewhat for a short term fix but also getting some good lifetime advice.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
808 Posts
That is clearly alignment wear. Feathering, heal toe wear, saw tooth, call it what you like, but that is caused by your toe angle being not correct, and could be effected by camber. Your tires roll the direction they are pointer. If they are pointed inward or positive toe, they are trying to roll toward each other. They have scuff the tread as the weight and strength of the truck keeps it going straight. This happens over and over and it causes wear patterns in the tires. Improper balance doesn't help the issue, but is more of a contributing factor than a cause. You can have an imbalance problem and it typically won't cause this issue, and you usually will know if your balance is off by a vibrating steering wheel. When your tires get that chopped up, all the balancing in the world won't help.

Alignments are funny things. They are only as good as the people and the equipment they use. Your front end parts are a big part of a good alignment. Solid parts equal angles that don't change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The reason they needed so much weight was due to all the missing rubber from the wear. I have seen about 10 sets of these through my shop that we have sold and they all wear like that. My best guess is the size of the outside tread blocks that point forward.......they are too long......in essence making the tire a 20 sided form instead of a circle. They are so long-front to back- that it makes it hard for the carcass to flex. And Brad is right-the suspension components need to be in perfect working order or you will not get a true alignment. And dont get me started on the 18 year old kids doing the alignment.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts