TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, VERY long time since I've been around here. A quick rundown for those who care to know. My wife's MS has gotten terribly bad, I now take care of her full-time and have given up my career and most everything to care for her. She wants to spend her last time on earth back in San Diego near our family and friends. So we have moved to the El Cajon area right on the border really to Santee. So, now that I'm back I'm trying to register my vehicles. So here is my dilemma: 2001 double cab, came with a two cat exhaust system as the truck was built in CA. I've got a 98 used engine in it and those only had a single cat system in it. 2 years ago I had to replace my cat and went with a single Federal legal cat because I did not think I'd ever move back to my home state. So, now that I'm going to try and register it here, I want to be sure what I need to do.

Do I need to go back to a two cat system, or can I just put in a Ca legal single cat since I've got a 98 engine in it?
It is still a 3.4 V6 toyota engine.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
I'm pretty sure the CARB laws say you need to have the exhaust match what is factory for the vehicle build date. So if you are having a state referee inspect the vehicle, they'll probably look for dual cats. If you just need to pass a smog inspection, throw a CA legal cat on there and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then, I should prolly go to DMV and attempt to register it first and then they'll tell me if I need to just get smogged or go to a referee? Sound like the best route?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
damn, sorry to hear about your wife. Julie got diagnosed with the same this last Dec but so far is doing very well and the Copaxone seems to be keeping things in check.

you'll probably need 2 cats for your '01 and if it goes to an inspection station they may well have to be OE rather than aftermarket "cali" spec cats. I would call around to local 'test-only' smog places and see what they say. If you can get it smogged any normal place you should be able to get by with aftermarket cats or maybe only a single as Showstop suggested. any local dealership service dept should be able to answer that question, though.

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
So then, I should prolly go to DMV and attempt to register it first and then they'll tell me if I need to just get smogged or go to a referee? Sound like the best route?
That's what I would do. The state doesn't know about the engine swap, so you'll probably just have to get a typical smog check. Be sure to do a tune-up first and change the oil.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I would do. The state doesn't know about the engine swap, so you'll probably just have to get a typical smog check. Be sure to do a tune-up first and change the oil.
Right on brother, thanks for the arrow in the right direction.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn, sorry to hear about your wife. Julie got diagnosed with the same this last Dec but so far is doing very well and the Copaxone seems to be keeping things in check.

you'll probably need 2 cats for your '01 and if it goes to an inspection station they may well have to be OE rather than aftermarket "cali" spec cats. I would call around to local 'test-only' smog places and see what they say. If you can get it smogged any normal place you should be able to get by with aftermarket cats or maybe only a single as Showstop suggested. any local dealership service dept should be able to answer that question, though.
Thanks Chris. Sorry to hear about your wife! Keep in mind that MS is SO different from one person to the next and if she has relapsing remitting there is much more hope for her to be able to manage it and if kept on top of you can keep it in remission for years.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry to here about your wife :(

Cali has been getting super strict on smog rules and regulations, so I would think you would need the same exhaust as the vehicle came from the factory with, being its a Cali and not Federal car to begin with. Technically you could swap any newer motor in to a vehicle and only need the smog related equipment from the newer motor, but not vice versa. I got refused last year for not having a CARB sticker for my intake, even thought they smogged my truck the last time without it, here in Poway. Real nice and informative guys though, they called Injen to check on the part number and everything for me, and smogged it once I got the sticker from Injen.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike.

·
I think I remember where Moab is?
1,227 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife Kirk.....Good luck with the truck though. How are the kids doing? It has been a long time since I have seen you and the family and I know my kids have really grown up so I know yours have to be whooping dad's ass by now! Best wishes to you and your family and KCCO!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts