TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quite some time back, I made up a 30 ft. soow 10/3 extension
it's been working great...
but on occasion... I sometimes wish I had a few more feet.

Would it be awrite to add a second 10/3 extension in line
using 50a plug/receptacle to connect/extend my soow ?

trying to avoid buying a new complete 50 ft. cable length for this

what say you ?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool... thanks Tyler

From what I've read... I should be good up to 67 ft with 10/3

I was just concerned that the added plug/receptacle might cause further voltage drop

·
Registered
227 Posts
it's a wash either way you spin it. 30' additional feet of cord is just about the same price as those cord caps, which are rather expensive. So buy the caps, another 30' or so of cord and have 2 extensions.

I have an Esab Caddy MIG200 (200AMP, 1P~208-240V) and love the thing. I run on my 25' extension while in the garage and have a 100' adder in case I need to get around the house/shop. I checked my unit's stats, can run up to 160' of cord no problem.

·
Registered
822 Posts
it's a wash either way you spin it. 30' additional feet of cord is just about the same price as those cord caps, which are rather expensive. So buy the caps, another 30' or so of cord and have 2 extensions.

I have an Esab Caddy MIG200 (200AMP, 1P~208-240V) and love the thing. I run on my 25' extension while in the garage and have a 100' adder in case I need to get around the house/shop. I checked my unit's stats, can run up to 160' of cord no problem.
When I priced making my own cord 6 months ago just the plugs alone were $20 each, I wanted the really flexible wire which was outrageously priced, if I remember correctly it was going to cost me about $130 to make my own. I pick up one for $71.95 + tax. One thing I like about the cord I bought is that it has an led in clear plugs that let's you know when there's voltage (plugged in) so it kind of a reminder to plug/ unplug when I'm starting or stopping.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I priced making my own cord 6 months ago just the plugs alone were $20 each, I wanted the really flexible wire which was outrageously priced, if I remember correctly it was going to cost me about $130 to make my own. I pick up one for $71.95 + tax. One thing I like about the cord I bought is that it has an led in clear plugs that let's you know when there's voltage (plugged in) so it kind of a reminder to plug/ unplug when I'm starting or stopping.
That still seems expensive for a 25'. I made mine and they ended up being cheaper. The longer the cord, the cheaper making them gets. What plug configuraton are you using? My unit came with a 6-50, a normal plug for an industrial setting but awkward for the home/jobsite. I cut it off and added a L6-30. They aren't cheap, but I'd rather have the twist-lock ends. All in all I made a 25', 100' and an adapter for using a standard dryer plug.

I used 10/3 SJOOW cord. I got mine through work but Home Depot has it for $1.30/foot

·
Registered
822 Posts
That still seems expensive for a 25'. I made mine and they ended up being cheaper. The longer the cord, the cheaper making them gets. What plug configuraton are you using? My unit came with a 6-50, a normal plug for an industrial setting but awkward for the home/jobsite. I cut it off and added a L6-30. They aren't cheap, but I'd rather have the twist-lock ends. All in all I made a 25', 100' and an adapter for using a standard dryer plug.

I used 10/3 SJOOW cord. I got mine through work but Home Depot has it for $1.30/foot
mine just has standard welder plugs on it, i have a hobart 187 so whatever the plug on it is called lol. At $1.30 a foot you would have $32.50 in wire and $40 for both plugs is $72.50- so i saved .55 + didnt have to make it and I got the cool led illuminated plugs. Another thing I like about the cord i bought is it has really heavy insulation on it and its very flexible. I also use it for the lift in my shop, i put a male end on the wiring for the lift so i didnt have to hard wire it. I only have room for one 220 in my shop and it saved me some $ on wiring as well. Ive never had a problem with anything coming unplugged as they are very tight-almost too tight, i ground some material off the ground prong for the lift and my plasma cutter as they were a real bitch to seperate at times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts