TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Tim,

My dad made the one that I am using for my welder. I can TRY to look up the info printed on the cable tomorrow if you want... Ends are easy. I don't think it cost him very much. It's either 20 or 25ft.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would like to get one for a 110v when I buy my 110v for the house. I have to run it from the pool into the garage since the garage lights dim when I use the dam circular saw. I wish I could buy a 220v but the electrical box is already full.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
ThePinkTaco said:
I would like to get one for a 110v when I buy my 110v for the house. I have to run it from the pool into the garage since the garage lights dim when I use the dam circular saw. I wish I could buy a 220v but the electrical box is already full.
110v extension cord?

Just go to homo depot and get one that can handle 20 amps. I just used a regular one yesterday to weld a crossmember in with my 110. A good hour or so and the cord didn't get hot, nor did a breaker trip.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Timbuddha said:
I need one of these badly as I often work on stuff in the side yard. What do you guys think of this??

Welding Extension Cord

Tim
if you can find the 8g cord you can make one for a lot less. I found some 10g cable a while back and made a 110 extension for my little welder...works great. I have a 10g 220/20a extension for most of my 220 tools that works fine as well.

what size welder do you have?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I am running 8/4 cord with my Miller 50 amp 220 volt rig (not using the 4th wire). I have a 75 foot extension made out of it. You can buy 10/3 wire cheaper and it will handle 30+ amps. I ran my old miller at 50 amps for short periods of time on 10/3 wire. You can buy the plugs at home depot for $14-$18 each.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
NorcalPR said:
110v extension cord?

Just go to homo depot and get one that can handle 20 amps. I just used a regular one yesterday to weld a crossmember in with my 110. A good hour or so and the cord didn't get hot, nor did a breaker trip.

i can attest to this, haha, this cord was pretty much in my hand while he was welding.....

as far as the cords, i was at the hardware store a couple days ago, and htey have all sorts of extension cords... really no reason to buy it off of ebay, because those cords are heavy, and shipping isnt cheap on heavy stuff

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hytenor said:
if you can find the 8g cord you can make one for a lot less. I found some 10g cable a while back and made a 110 extension for my little welder...works great. I have a 10g 220/20a extension for most of my 220 tools that works fine as well.

I have a Lincoln 220v welder.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimbo74 said:
i can attest to this, haha, this cord was pretty much in my hand while he was welding.....

as far as the cords, i was at the hardware store a couple days ago, and htey have all sorts of extension cords... really no reason to buy it off of ebay, because those cords are heavy, and shipping isnt cheap on heavy stuff
Ummm, it says free shipping. :confused:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hytenor said:

The question is where?? Remember, I live in old guy ville. Home Depot?? Lowes? The welding shop here is a freaking rip off. He wants crazy prices for his stuff.

Tim

·
Registered
646 Posts
NorcalPR said:
110v extension cord?

Good to know. I didnt know if the powerloss along with the long ext cord made a difference.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mojavegold said:
I am running 8/4 cord with my Miller 50 amp 220 volt rig (not using the 4th wire). I have a 75 foot extension made out of it. You can buy 10/3 wire cheaper and it will handle 30+ amps. I ran my old miller at 50 amps for short periods of time on 10/3 wire. You can buy the plugs at home depot for $14-$18 each.

Right on!! Thanks for the info.

Tim

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Timbuddha said:
I need one of these badly as I often work on stuff in the side yard. What do you guys think of this??

Welding Extension Cord

Tim
I don't know what the prices for wire are like down there but for 25' of cable and already having both the ends and the work and hassle done I would just order that one if it's the right cord for your welder. Up here that wire is worth about $3 a foot so I'd say that cord is a great deal. ...Steve

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Also, #10 wire is good for 30A, #8 is good for 45A. Once you start going over longer distances you'll notice the line drop when welding and your equipment won't work the way it should. If you're right near the top 1/3 of the current rating of one of the cables, go up a size. ...Steve

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
ThePinkTaco said:
Good to know. I didnt know if the powerloss along with the long ext cord made a difference.
yes, there will be a power loss if all you use is a 12g standard ex cord. that's why, for a hi-draw item like a welder, you should go the next size up, ie, 10g which can be found at HD or any other place like that for a decent price. get plug ends at the same place. I get them at garage sales all the time for $1 ;)

10g will also be fine for a 220 welder that is 20a or less. When you get into the 40-50a range you really need thicker wire.

Tim, welding shops around here sell just the cable priced per foot and the ends can be found at HD. But, Steve may be right...that price isn't bad for what you're getting with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have a 20' 10/3 and a buddy of mine runs 8 guage for a 40' cable. I made mine for less than $40. You can buy the heavy wiring from any decent electrical shop, and all of the ends can be bough from HD/Lowes or at the electrical place. If 30 min of your time is worth more than ~$35, then buy the one from ebay. I think there might be some write ups on welder extensions online, or you can talk to the guys at the electrical store about it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
AggieTaco said:
I have a 20' 10/3 and a buddy of mine runs 8 guage for a 40' cable. I made mine for less than $40. You can buy the heavy wiring from any decent electrical shop, and all of the ends can be bough from HD/Lowes or at the electrical place. If 30 min of your time is worth more than ~$35, then buy the one from ebay. I think there might be some write ups on welder extensions online, or you can talk to the guys at the electrical store about it.
8/3 is worth a fair bit more than 10/3 wire and the ends cost a little more as well. The one on Ebay is a good price. I'm an electrician with rolls of the wire and easy access to the ends and I would probably just order that one. ....Steve

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Just ordered the Lincoln 175

Wish they had a ready made cable like that that I didn't have to cut and put a new end on...

So I gotta make one...
Is 10/3 enough for the 175 @ 25 to 30 ft ?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I think I'd go to the home center and buy the connectors and wire then make it up myself for a lot less money.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
That's what I'm doing :confused:

uh... 10/3 ?

I bought the welder just so I can weld sliders on... ;)

Love that weld on shiat... LOL

: oh shit... already have those :

Crap... I'll find something else to weld up...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts