TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im looking to buy my first welder. im planning on moving out next year and wont have acess to a 220 plug at all times. is there any other welders out there like the millermatic passport that can run on both 230 and 115volts? it would be pretty nice to be able to have 220 when i was home and 115 when i would move out or be at a friends house. any info on welders you guys have or welders like the passport that are in a lower price range would be great.

heres a link to the miller http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_passport/index.php

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
thehackman15 said:
hey im looking to buy my first welder. im planning on moving out next year and wont have acess to a 220 plug at all times. is there any other welders out there like the millermatic passport that can run on both 230 and 115volts? it would be pretty nice to be able to have 220 when i was home and 115 when i would move out or be at a friends house. any info on welders you guys have or welders like the passport that are in a lower price range would be great.

heres a link to the miller http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_passport/index.php
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_dvi/

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
deffiently get the miller matci,thats what i have and its completely worth the 1300$$$ its a great weld and plus if you shop around ayou can get it alot cheaper. i got mine 600$$ new it may have been hot, but it was still only 600 dollars. but get it and you will wont regret it

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
green96taco said:
deffiently get the miller matci,thats what i have and its completely worth the 1300$$$ its a great weld and plus if you shop around ayou can get it alot cheaper. i got mine 600$$ new it may have been hot, but it was still only 600 dollars. but get it and you will wont regret it
what welder are you talking about?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Millers are great welders, you can't go wrong with them. But I have found that the parts for them are more expensive than other brands.

IMHO, the extra price is worth it for the product you recieve.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
thehackman15 said:

We do a little welding here at the shop. Before I bought our last 3 welders we had one Hobart 110 (garage days) and a 175 miller The 175 held it's own pretty good but was small for what we do. The Hobart was a strong little thing and is still doing duty at a friend’s house.

When I bought our next welder I asked around and everyone said Linchon for mig and Miller for tig. So I bought a Linchon it's the 255 with digi read out. It did ok only a few problems. We have since bought two more Linchons 210 and a 215. The 210 and 215 have both been POS's and the 255 is not much better. If I had to do it all over again I would go Miller. Every time we have our welders worked on they are out for 2-3 weeks putting us behind and according to our local welding supply guy the millers have a much faster turn around time.

Don't count out the little 110's there are some nice ones out there, they are just slower and don't hold as much wire. But if you’re just doing personal stuff those little ones are fine.

I just saw that new miller with the 110 option I think for your situation that would be the best set up. But if you can't afford it try one of the Miller 135's they work pretty well.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I say, go with Miller. I LOVE my Miller 175!! I've used Lincolns and millers at School, and the Millers just seem to burn better for me! (yes they are set up correctly) this is with various machines, stick, mig/flux core, 400a flux core (HOLY SHIT... that was a fun machine to weld with) tig, and multiprocess machines, as well as Carbon Arc cutting.

The Lincoln just didn't feel, sound or weld right for me. Though, both brands had strong welds, tested through stress bending.

These were all very highend machines, some brand new, others older.

Another option is Readywelder. Depending on how much you are welding you can get away with 2 batteries for ~30-45 minutes. If you get the ADP model you can plug it into a stick machine or a Mig machine and I believe it's 100% cycle duity. You are only limited by the small spool size. It can weld up to 3/4" in a single pass with 36v (three batteries), which blows the almost if not all of the 220 welders away, I believe. Another plus is the RW acts as a spool gun, when plugged into a machine and a argon bottle, you can weld alum with it! Or you can weld Alum with it using batteries and an argon bottle.

After I replace a small part on my RW, I'll try to post pictures and my personal opinion of it. But I may forget.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i decided to go with the hobart 140. really wanted the dvi but i want something i can move around and moving a 170 pound machine in and out of my truck would get pretty annoying.northern tool has them with free shipping and a cart. i hear miller and hobart and comming from the same factory now(is this true?) and all the specs seem to be the same.i dont think ill be dissapointed. any you guys had experiences with this welder?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Banned
966 Posts
green96taco said:
sorry hack i was talking about this one http://www.millerwelds.com/products...illermatic_dvi/ its gonna be a great welder. BUt you basically cant go wrong with any of the big 3 lincoln, miller, hobart. you be happy either way.
these tiny inverters are awesome for portability sake. however, anything that runs on 120v has limited ability (although many of their inverter units are auto-sensing 120/220). my plasma 30amp unit is a auto sense unit, but for slicing 1/4" steel i only run 220.

this miller unit has a onboard 12oz gas cylinder...?? kinda silly IMO, 12oz is like sneezing, then its all gone.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
thehackman15 said:
well i decided to go with the hobart 140. really wanted the dvi but i want something i can move around and moving a 170 pound machine in and out of my truck would get pretty annoying.northern tool has them with free shipping and a cart. i hear miller and hobart and comming from the same factory now(is this true?) and all the specs seem to be the same.i dont think ill be dissapointed. any you guys had experiences with this welder?
I got Hobart 175 from ToolKing in Colorado. Yes, Hobart and Miller are the same company. Most of their parts are interchangable.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
are you positive you wont have access to 220V. most electric dryers are 220V if available where you'll be moving to. my first welder I went with 220V. seems like those that start with 110 outgrow it too fast. they will get job done though

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i plan on moving to southern cali and from what i have been reading most places use natural gas and dont have 220 wired in so i just went with what would be most convienent

·
Banned
966 Posts
thehackman15 said:
i plan on moving to southern cali and from what i have been reading most places use natural gas and dont have 220 wired in so i just went with what would be most convienent
all home services are 220v (2 120v legs).

120v---neutral---120v
|_________________| is 220v

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Most houses have at least 100 amp service. 100 amp service box is still 220. Even if the house was 50+ years old, I bet it has at least 50 amp service. Most new houses now come with 200 amp service boxes. All 220V

Wally

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would most likely be moving into an apartment. i dont think there would be a way to tap into 220 there conviently. i wonder what the people would say as i ran a big ass extension cord from the breaker box trying to get power to a welder out front.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
thehackman15 said:
i would most likely be moving into an apartment.
bettter call any your thinking about and ask how they feel about work on vechiles. some are starting not to allow it. I think they ASSpire to be like condos and some HOA neighborhoods.
might be better off if could use/keep at friends or wait to purchase.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts