TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been welding as a hobby with my 90amp flux mig. No gas option on it.
I enjoy it and tack welds and occasional real welds are all I've done on just 1/8th inch steel plates I got in bulk at work. Besides this mig, I'm clueless on other, better welders. Few questions for you actuals fabbers:

What welders are you using for various projects?

How do you choose what welder to use given what your working with?

For example, I know a lot of guys install frame plates on their Taco's. What welder do you use for that? Flux, real mig, tig?

There just seem to be a lot of options and I'm pretty lost on their different uses. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
764 Posts
What welders are you using for various projects?
I currently use a Miller 251 with wither .030" or .035" ER70-S wire with 75/25 gas. Previously used a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC stick welder and a Lincoln SP-135 with flux-core

How do you choose what welder to use given what your working with?
Decide what the thickest metal you will be welding on and choose a welder that is rated for that thickness. Generally you will be told to get a 220 volt machine, so at minimum a 175 or so amp machine will work good with most anything truck/wheeling related

For example, I know a lot of guys install frame plates on their Taco's. What welder do you use for that? Flux, real mig, tig?
You could use any of those, even stick... I personally use what I listed above as do a lot of others here

1 - 2 of 2 Posts