TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the noob section, or in the fabrication section. :rolleyes: LOL here it is.

Is it possible to cut the bracket off of a shock and move the spring perch up, carefully weld it back on?

I had a dream last night, and woke up with this idea. I am mulling it over in my mind, but not sure it would be "worth" the prep work, hastle or time, especially if it will jack up the shock.

I thought I might have read an article a while back where a Lexus SUV was prepped for the Rubicon and the spring perches on the strut were moved up for a little more height, but not sure?

Any input or is this just another one of my plain ole dumb idea ideas. :D

Wally

·
Registered
162 Posts
the shock will explode in your face :D
Yea I am no rocket scientist but pressurized gas vessel + heat = explosion.

·
Registered
741 Posts
only a little one...

you could break it down to just the shock body and im sure it would be fine to weld on.... i don't know how thin the metal is though.

Austin

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thickness of the metal isn't as large of a concern as warping the body to the point that the shock won't work properly or blowing something up.

I have a TIG welder, it runs a nice bead and has a steady arc down to about 25 amps if I do my part.

IF, its possible, I would use SS312 or 309 and TIG welding the spring perch further up the shock, maybe 5/8s an inch?

Wally

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
the shock will explode in your face :D
Actually that is very true. For the nitrogen charged shocks, it is entirely possible to have the shock explode on you. There were some pictures that floated around the internet a few years ago of one such occurance. :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
ive had to grind the perches off before - just take your time. and realize it could go crazy! GO SLOW! lol

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i wouldnt even bother with it... its not worth the risk...
if you do... please take pictures of the aftermath

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It's an interesting idea although the excecution should probably be different. What about some sort of bracket setup like the same style that SASers use on their front air bumps to "mount the new mount". A mount mount, if you will.

~Miguel

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
No one uses air bumps, do you think we shit $$?
you dont have to be able to shit a whole lot of money, only about 700-1200 bucks :D , but they are well worth the money, as in i will never have another rig with out them front and rear even if its a 500 buck POS truck

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's an interesting idea although the excecution should probably be different. What about some sort of bracket setup like the same style that SASers use on their front air bumps to "mount the new mount". A mount mount, if you will.

~Miguel
Your idea of of the adjustable bumpstop applied to a shock/ strut would be far easier, easier to install, less work, as well as more adjustable. Of course it wouldn't look exactly like that, but I got the idea, gave me another way of looking at things, thanks.

Now I need to figure out why nobody else thought of it, ie what might be a weak point going this route? :rolleyes:

Wally

·
Registered
271 Posts
you dont have to be able to shit a whole lot of money, only about 700-1200 bucks :D , but they are well worth the money, as in i will never have another rig with out them front and rear even if its a 500 buck POS truck

700-1200 bucks? christ, i have a pair for sale for 275!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? Why not just buy the right length shock for the application? X2 I would not weld on the shock body without fully dissembling the internals. Then you have to worry about the concentricity of the body after welding. Unless of course, you don't mind them not working properly, or having pre-mature failure.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Struts and shocks are not the same. It bugs me.

Oh and the shock thing, bad idea lol. Besides it wouldnt really work. You would have to somehow recharge the thing. Unless their rebuildable, its pretty much a dumb idea.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
I thought I might have read an article a while back where a Lexus SUV was prepped for the Rubicon and the spring perches on the strut were moved up for a little more height, but not sure?

Wally
That was Peterson's 4wd Lexus SUV Project. Also had the "cutting board" skids.

Same concept as a top spacer. But you would be doing a bottom spacer. Bad idea. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts