TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the backing plates on my rear drum brakes has two holes rusted in it that I would like to grind down and weld a plate over to repair it. The ideal way to do this would be to take the backing plate off, but looking at the FSM, it doesn't look too easy. My question is, would there be any issues with welding the backing plate while it is still attached to the brake assembly. I wasn't sure if there would be any problems with bearings, grease, bearing surfaces, etc getting screwed up during welding. I intend to just take the wheel and tire off to do the repair. I am new to welding so any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
316 Posts
you will never get that balanced and it will wreck the bearings eventually and you will have a sweet vibration at just about any speed.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
You won't be able to lay a complete bead anyways because it's thin metal, it's best to tack around in opposite places to keep warping down. Because there's little heat from this method, I wouldn't sweat arbout any heat getting into the bearings, the bearings will see more heat in use.

If you haven't welded before, make sure the surface is clean, free of paint, and test your tacks on a scrap piece first to adjust the weld settings.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
One of the backing plates on my rear drum brakes has two holes rusted in it that I would like to grind down and weld a plate over to repair it. The ideal way to do this would be to take the backing plate off, but looking at the FSM, it doesn't look too easy. My question is, would there be any issues with welding the backing plate while it is still attached to the brake assembly. I wasn't sure if there would be any problems with bearings, grease, bearing surfaces, etc getting screwed up during welding. I intend to just take the wheel and tire off to do the repair. I am new to welding so any tips would be appreciated.
pics?
the metal is thin, 1/16" range so low-heat MIG or TIG will be the best route. If the holes are fairly small I would cut out the area and weld in a piece of sheet like sheet metal, cut to match the new hole.
Best way would be to remove the backing plate and strip it of all brake parts. but...removing the backing plate is a pita as you have to press out the wheel bearing with a jig and 20-ton shop press. Depending on where the problem areas are you should be able to do the repair fairly easily w/o doing this. Start by pulling the entire axle assembly and removing all the brake components. clean/grind the areas to be welded so all are free of rust and paint. Cover the bearing area well with aluminum foil to keep any spatter from getting in there.
If the problem areas are too close to the center such that you cannot get to both front and back you'll need to remove the plate completely :(

Use the tac weld method use for sheet metal repair and then carefully grind area smooth if needed.

pics would help ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts