TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a degree from a University and a decent career, I do not plan to weld as a career. However, I really would like to learn more about welding. Is there anywhere that I can go to learn the basics? Like I said, I do not want to go to a school where they teach all there is to know about the subject. I took welding in high school, and jack around from time to time with a cheap stick welder that I have. I would like to learn more about different styles and proper tech. I am in Texas, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
check out community colleges thats what i did. they usually have certification programs and hobby classes and art type stuff. and access to some nice equipment.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
elliot_irwin said:
check out community colleges thats what i did. they usually have certification programs and hobby classes and art type stuff. and access to some nice equipment.
X2

·
Registered
472 Posts
where exactly in TX are you? There are quite a few technical schools that have welding as a certification program. its about 1yr and you learn quite a bit, u get to go hands on really quick into the program.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info so far, I am in San Angelo which is South of Abilene. I do know there are some schools here that have welding programs. I just did not want to invest money and time taking classes about useless info if I was not planning on doing this as a career. I am sure there is important stuff that they need to know, but I dont. I am a hands on learner anyway. I did not know if I could select classes, or if I had to do a program. I guess that would be my only option. I was just checking to see if there were any weekend type deals around the area that someone had heard of. Maybe where it gets more advanced over time, and then starts over??

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
elliot_irwin said:
Did you just check them out, or did you take some? The hobby type classes seem to be what I need, is that what you did? Or did you get certified?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
i took classes that were required to get my collision repair degree.

I'm not a certified welder but i have taken a 3 month course. and welded just about everything by now.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elliot_irwin said:
i took classes that were required to get my collision repair degree.
I see..

Well, I contacted a Jr College here in town and they have a class from Feb 8th - Feb 27th on Tues & Thurs from 6-9. All I need are gloves and goggles. Cost is 169.00. They said you take this course first and then talk to the professor and decide what interest you have (making a bad ass trail rig out of my 99) and then there are 3 other courses available based on this. The first one was called something arts?? What do you guys think? There is not a grade/cert.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts