TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposing I was a capable welder:rolleyes: Is welding stainless possible with my small Lincoln wire feed? I have no option for gas so it would be flux wire. Is that even an option?

Do I need a special wire. This will be done on my dads boat that he sails around the world, and it is crucial that it be done correctly.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Supposing I was a capable welder:rolleyes: Is welding stainless possible with my small Lincoln wire feed? I have no option for gas so it would be flux wire. Is that even an option?

Do I need a special wire. This will be done on my dads boat that he sails around the world, and it is crucial that it be done correctly.
a quick search says no, need gas (Argon) for SS.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hytenor. :)

I like some questions answered here were I have confidence in some of the people versus some site I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
316 SS I believe. I will not do it. But I will now have a little more intelligent questions for the one who does do it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They do make a flux core stainless wire, but it's pricey. I've never welded with it, but I did research it for a non-truck related job. Search McMaster 7678A56.

If you are MIG welding it, you want tri-mix. TIG welding is argon.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My small Lincoln has no option for gas. This part will have to come off to get welded so as not to heat the fiberglass on the boat. It is the bowsprit and channels the anchor chain thru the wildcat.

My dad sails around the world by himself in his Sundeer at 74 years old. No way can this weld fail. We're calling a professional certified welder. I want my dad to come safe from wherever he sails to next.

Thanks Naylor.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I respect people who take on the oceans single handed in small boats. It takes some really big balls to do that. Some say small brains too but I guess that depends entirely on your point of view. It's much the same as climbing big ass mountains like Everest.

My small Lincoln has no option for gas. This part will have to come off to get welded so as not to heat the fiberglass on the boat. It is the bowsprit and channels the anchor chain thru the wildcat.

My dad sails around the world by himself in his Sundeer at 74 years old. No way can this weld fail. We're calling a professional certified welder. I want my dad to come safe from wherever he sails to next.

Thanks Naylor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts