TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using my friends Lincoln 100 flux welder right now for a bed rack that I'm making. The wire tends to get stop feeding more than it works. When I hit the trigger nothing happens. The wire might come out 1 out of 20 trigger pulls so I have to sit there pulling the trigger over and over until the wire feeds itself and then begin welding. The welder is on but the spool/wire is just not feeding itself through the handle.

I just installed a new spool of wire and changed the tip.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
is the tension set decent at the spool and the tensioner ? take the tip out and try to feed it

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean the tip after every weld. Right size tip for right size wire? When you changed the wire did you tension it inside the machine properly?

As you know I'm new to welding, how do I tension the wire? I originally started with the previous spool and that ran out so I went and bought another spool.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
well the wingnut that u use to put the new wire on cant be to tight, just tight enough so it doesnt unspool the wire on its own. and where the wire feeds through the roller that makes wire come out has to be tensioned enough to grip the wire, but not cranked down to where its trying to smash it. play with it and ull see

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the wingnut that u use to put the new wire on cant be to tight, just tight enough so it doesnt unspool the wire on its own. and where the wire feeds through the roller that makes wire come out has to be tensioned enough to grip the wire, but not cranked down to where its trying to smash it. play with it and ull see
Thanks. I'm going to starting welding again in a little while and I'll play with it. I might have it too loose.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to starting welding again in a little while and I'll play with it. I might have it too loose.
ya either the spool is cranked down to tight, or the roller is too loose, maybe a combo of both

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I originally started with the previous spool and that ran out so I went and bought another spool.
sure U bought the same sized wire ?

what U using... 035 flux core ?

aside from making sure the spool isn't too tight...

what about the tension at the guide wheel ?

are U sure the guide wheel is aligned properly ?

I'll have to assume when U mean:

"I pull the trigger and nothing happens"

U mean the wire doesn't feed thru nor exit ?
or do U mean the unit makes no noise and the drive motor is not operating ?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sure U bought the same sized wire ?

what U using... 0.30 flux core ?

aside from making sure the spool isn't too tight...

what about the tension at the guide wheel ?

are U sure the guide wheel is aligned properly ?

I'll have to assume when U mean:

"I pull the trigger and nothing happens"

U mean the wire doesn't feed thru nor exit ?
or do U mean the unit makes no noise and the drive motor is not operating ?
Yes, I bought the same size wire, .035 flux core.

I'll pull the trigger and the spool does not move or feed itself through the welder. The unit is making a noise because the welder is on. Maybe the drive motor is the problem. I'm going to weld some more right now and play with the adjustments to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Don't think this would create the wire to stop feeding all together....but something to remember as well. Try to avoid pulling the wire back through the whip, due to the fact that the tip of the wire (where you are welding) is normally not the same diameter, and can also have sharp edges. Pulling it backwards through the whip can chew up the inside and make it feed like shit. Your situation though sounds like it is a tension issue. Try tightening the wing nut where the wire is fed from the spool to the whip like others mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

I'll pull the trigger and the spool does not move or feed itself through the welder. The unit is making a noise because the welder is on. Maybe the drive motor is the problem. I'm going to weld some more right now and play with the adjustments to see what happens.
that to me sounds like u have the tensioner set to stiff and it doesnt have enough power to spin the wheel to feed the wire out. set it loose first and slowly start adjusting it so it doesnt slip on the wire anymore

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts

I meant to type .035... oops

I'd think U could tell and hear whether the drive motor is working properly...
so if it's making noise when U pull the trigger and the guide wheel shaft is turning... probably not that.

*Make sure the grub screw holding the guide wheel hasn't come loose !

so if the spool is not overly tight...
then the issue must be in the guide wheel adjustment/alignment

If that is over tensioned... U could be flattening the wire, (especially flux core),
and that could make it bind as it's being pushed thru the tip.

The tension on the guide wheel should be tightened just a tad beyond the point of when the wire is slipping on that.

Don't set the spool too loose... or you'll have a rats nest ! :lmao:

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Also note that if the wheel slips on the wire (the wire does not move, but the wheel spins to feed the wire) then you need to keep feeding the wire through the gun, until you pass the damaged section of wire from the wheel.

You'll waste about 5' of wire, but it's a lot less waste/frustration than if you just leave it. If you leave it there, it'll keep getting stuck at the tip. From there, it's like a downhill snowball...

-Phill

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I played with the tensions and it really didn't seen to help. The little motor doesn't spin the wire spool so I'm not sure what the problem is.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
I played with the tensions and it really didn't seen to help. The little motor doesn't spin the wire spool so I'm not sure what the problem is.
When you change a spool and clip the new end to feed into the thing you will often get a rough or sharp end on the wire. This will cause it to jam up either inside the tube or right near the tip. Cut the wire at the spool and start over making sure you have a nice smooth end on the wire. Carefully pull out what wire that has gone up the tube. Remove the tip on the gun before feeding might help as well.
I just had this problem with a new roll a couple weeks back :p

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
the motor doesn't spin the wire spool...

it's the small guide wheel that is connected to the drive mech
this wheel pulls 'da wire from the spool and pushes it thru the guide hole and on thru to the trigger assembly.

make sure yer spool's wire is not crossed up...
if that were to be tangled or crossed over itself... it wouldn't be able to pull off 'da spool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also make sure that the guide wheel is installed correctly... One side (smooth groove) is for mig wire, and the knurled side is for flux core.

Sorry for the crappy cell pictures!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
^ are U stating a fact about this particular Lincoln 100 in ?

because, unless this unit has been converted...
I'm guessing it only has flux core capability... .030 - .035

and likely has a single grooved drive wheel.

tho' I could be wrong... 'cause I don't own one of 'dees

1 - 20 of 34 Posts