TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
This kind of question can't be answered on the internet.

There are just too many variables.

First, a lot depends on where the crack is, and how bad it's cracked.

Second, It depends on who is doing the welding.

It's a known fact that it's damn difficult to weld something so it's stronger than it was in the first place. Only the best welders can pull this off.

If the repair is weaker than the original part, it will break again.

I recommend searching out a really talented welder and handing him the stripped and cleaned housing.

If he thinks it's fixable, then there's your answer.

I used to know a guy that could work wonders on broken aluminum. His welds were beautiful, and he had a real talent for making gussets and reinforcing things so that the repaired piece would survive.

I saw him take engine cases that were blown apart and turn them into better than new race motor stuff.

Unfortunately, he was killed in a car accident and I have not found anybody that could even come close to his work.

Good luck with your transfer case!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
just curious if it can welded? mine is cracked from the output and the crack runs upwards about 3 inches long and is leaking out gear oil very slowly.

John
Drain the fluid, clean totally with acetone and a stainless steel toothbrush, and grind out the crack a little. Then, tig it up. It's aluminum. If you post your location, someone can recommend a welder to you if you can't do the job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This kind of question can't be answered on the internet.

There are just too many variables.

First, a lot depends on where the crack is, and how bad it's cracked.

Second, It depends on who is doing the welding.

It's a known fact that it's damn difficult to weld something so it's stronger than it was in the first place. Only the best welders can pull this off.

If the repair is weaker than the original part, it will break again.

I recommend searching out a really talented welder and handing him the stripped and cleaned housing.

If he thinks it's fixable, then there's your answer.

I used to know a guy that could work wonders on broken aluminum. His welds were beautiful, and he had a real talent for making gussets and reinforcing things so that the repaired piece would survive.

I saw him take engine cases that were blown apart and turn them into better than new race motor stuff.

Unfortunately, he was killed in a car accident and I have not found anybody that could even come close to his work.

Good luck with your transfer case!
thanks for the lightning fast reply! i think my best route would be to just replace this one rather than attempt a fix. i certainly don't the have that good of welding skills.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It isn't just a matter of welding up the crack to stop a leak; if it was you could just get some filler rod and a bottle torch and fill it in. First I would give the rest of the drive line a good look over to find what caused the crack to begin with. If all looks good you can weld it up, but first you will have to tear down the case to make sure there is no damage to any bearings, or bearing seats. Then you will have to clean out the area to be welded. Then you have to hope it holds up. With all the time you will need to invest in tear down and clean up, it just isn't worth it. Get a case from the pick a part, make sure you don't have a bad u-joint, trans mount, or something that is going to tear up the new case, and get back on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I would just look into replacing it. I just wouldn't trust the welds (no matter who did them) on cast aluminum.

·
Registered
370 Posts
just curious if it can welded? mine is cracked from the output and the crack runs upwards about 3 inches long and is leaking out gear oil very slowly.

John
I'd be also concerned about what caused that crack.....but if it were mine, I would use a propane torch and "miracle filler rod" as advertised on TV and flow it in. You have nothing to loose and the fix may outlast your ownership of the truck.

The torch and filler rod are available in the larger hardware stores.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts