TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about getting rid of my taco in favor of a landcruiser.

been seriously looking into the older type FJ's.

either an FJ40 or FJ55, although i wouldn't mind a FJ45 :p

but then again, i can always keep my taco and use it as my towrig and get the FJ anyway and use it strictly for trails..... dunno yet, still thinking it all over.

oh, pics for reference lol

FJ45:

FJ55:

FJ40:

· Registered
6,543 Posts
Keep the taco for towing! Seriously, I'll be doing the same once I get a beater. BTW I like that red one at the top, nice. I can't like the orange one, it's too....burnt orange....for an aggie ;)

· Registered
3,404 Posts
purity said:
keep the taco. tacos are cool. you can have both when money is better and who wouldnt want both. a 45 would be sweet if you could find one.
X2 keep the Taco, you won't regret it. I just bought my trail rig and i can't wait to get it going so I can see my self towing my 81 trail rig with my Taco. It feels good.

Get the 40 or 45, shorter wheel base and awsome articulation and a lot lighter. that is exactly what I was looking for. it was either a 40 or 45 FJ or a toyo pickup from 77 to 83 but the FJ's are a lot harder to find and who ever is willing to sell them will want gold for it.

there is a FJ shop off of I35 between SA and Austin or just past Austin. to be honest I don't remember exactly, it has been a while since I've been down that route. Does anyone know?

here is one for you.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/294761869.html

go for broke but don't go broke! GL!

· Registered
3,404 Posts

· Registered
2,508 Posts
onelastcast said:
there is a FJ shop off of I35 between SA and Austin or just past Austin. to be honest I don't remember exactly, it has been a while since I've been down that route. Does anyone know?
I believe your talking about wimberly four wheel drive in new braunfels.

· Registered
3,404 Posts
valkyrie said:
Using your Taco for towing what- a LC?

Better think twice about that plan... very hard with a 40/45, pretty much impossible with a 55.

very possible, i have pulled a lot of trucks and not to mention my 23' boat. My truck is 5 speed thou. been there done that several times. much more beating on an automatic. a V8 will pull a lot better of course but I do give my truck some use.

· Cracker
7,114 Posts
Oh- okay.:rolleyes:

FYI, I towed a 71 Kaiser M-38 and a Honda Nighthawk on a 1600lb trailer loaded with almost an entire shop in the bed for 24 hours straight with a 2.7l 5 speed- grossly over the tow rating, scariest ride I had in a long time, but I know exactly what these trucks can do and how they react.

Regularly towing a 4,000 lb Land Cruiser on a trailer will become very tiresome- even with sway control, the tail will wag the dog. Trailer towing a FJ55 at about 5,000 lbs will be incredibly unsafe.

Flat towing a 55? Lots of weight, little caster, narrow track & long wheel base... :eek:

Flat towing a 40 is a whole 'nuther can o' worms. If it's a trial rig on trial tires, that's an issue. If it's a SOA, you can take the time to cut & turn the knuckles to get more than the factory 0* caster, but otherwise you will have to shim the caster in, in effect putting the front pinion angle down past parallel.

What makes you think it's so easy to tow these things on a regular basis?

I am especially interested to know why you think it's easy to tow an FJ55?

· Registered
2,715 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with keeping the taco to use as a tow rig. I've towed a lot less than that across half of the country and it was NOT a comfortable experience. Will it do it? Yes. Will you be happy with it while you're doing it? I would be inclined to say no. The 3.4 is ok at best, and in my opinion certainly not the best engine for a towing rig. Gas mileage will take a dive and I hope you don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry :)

My two pennies.

· Registered
3,404 Posts
Strongly recommended to tow especially on a long haul like from boston or an over kill haul on a 2.7L, no not recommended; not on a long shot. I said possibly, yes very possible; yes not the best, not the safest of rides and certainly not the fastest.
If one guy is limited to what he has and is capabale to what he can do and safe about doing it, for every once in a while things it's ok. What else can you do if your resources are limited.
Your right a FJ55 is very heavy but I wasn't talking about a 55 I said a 40 or 45 which weights ~3500 lbs plus if it is gutted to the bone and made stickly into a wheeler then it probably weights less. Unless he plans to go all out and put heavy duty bumpers, role cage, and a lot of extra heavy stuff then I think twice about it. Plus if he has that much money to load all that on FJ, then I'm pretty sure he would look into buying a tow rig.
On the other had if he bought a FJ55, it is clear, why would you pull a 3.9L or 4.2L with a 3.4L. The 55 are big and stout don't have that bad of a ride for a straight axle if and only if he keeps it street legal.
Let's be realistic here, you got to remember that most of us hear are limited to our resources and money, not to mention. That is why we are all here sharing info and bargins to try to make it to the next wheel, preform better, and over all have nice clean fun; that is the whole sport about it. Plus if it is going to be a wheeler, well not even the most pro wheeler pulls his rig daily as you say VALKYERY. Most of us will ride about what, 2 to 350 miles to get to a wheeling spot. Yeah every now and then we go all out and want to make it to a new, longer, and more exciting trail but for that, the haul is longer and better equipment is needed. For pulling your rig which weights about the same as your taco on a trailer a few times a year for a few hundred miles, I don't think is that bad.
Untill I can afford my BABE (Blue OX), I will be pulling my 81 pickup with my 3.4 Taco. What else can we do?

Besides we got off the subject of the thread, its all about the FJ's. CUCUY, if your Taco is paid for, then it just makes sense to keep it. You have a nice reliable truck that will more than get you from point A to Point B. Same goes for if you only have a few more payments left to go. It just doesn't make sense to make the banks any richer on your next transaction when you find out you need a newer and more reliable car. Your Taco can be your daily driver.
Me as other fishing buddys like to say, "Don't leave fish to find fish." Why leave something good that is secure for something that is a maybe.

Go for broke but don't go broke!
Laters!

· Cracker
7,114 Posts
Wow, talk about pressing a bad hand...
onelastcast said:
I said a 40 or 45 which weights ~3500 lbs plus if it is gutted to the bone and made stickly into a wheeler then it probably weights less. Unless he plans to go all out and put heavy duty bumpers, role cage, and a lot of extra heavy stuff then I think twice about it. Plus if he has that much money to load all that on FJ, then I'm pretty sure he would look into buying a tow rig.
Just how much can you gut a 40?

Would you wheel it without armor/bumpers, etc.?

How much does it weigh ready for wheeling and with the trailer?

How long of a trailer would you need?

How would it affect the handling?

It's Valkyrie btw... you can call me Chris (or asshole, or whatever pleases you). :p

· Registered
2,715 Posts
valkyrie said:
Wow, talk about pressing a bad hand...

Just how much can you gut a 40?

Would you wheel it without armor/bumpers, etc.?

How much does it weigh ready for wheeling and with the trailer?

How long of a trailer would you need?

How would it affect the handling?

It's Valkyrie btw... you can call me Chris (or asshole, or whatever pleases you). :p

Ok, Asshole :D

Just kidding man! :D

· Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Chris K (Valkyrie) is right. Towing an 40, 45, or a 55 with a 1st gen Taco shouldn't be done, and even less if their flat-towed. 3/4 and 1-ton domestic trucks regularly tow much more than what they weigh. But you have to remember that they're built to do that kind of work by virtue of the design and strength of the frame, axles, brakes, engine torque, etc. The Taco was never designed and built for towing much more than its weight like the kind of towing that the 3/4 and 1-ton domestics were designed for.

If you flat-tow with the Taco, you also risk jack-knifing it - I know, my 4000 lb 3.4L auto ex cab Taco jack-knifed while towing my 2500-3000 lb '47 CJ2A Willys while going less than 20 mph (scared the $hit out me!). I couldn't imagine how much higher the risk of jack-knifing while flat-towing a much heavier 40, 45 and even a 55! Towing a vehicle on a trailer lessens the jack-knife risk, but a trailer can add at least 1000 lbs more to the towed weight. That's when important, but often overlooked factors, like braking, stress on trannies, frame and axles, come into play.

By contrast, I've used my '93 fullsize, 5500 lb V8 Ford Bronco as a towing vehicle, and although it did much better than my Taco (despite it's shorter wheelbase), even it's bigger size and weight, stronger frame and axles, and increased torque were insufficient as far as I was concerned when compared to the 3/4 and 1-ton domestics. I flat-towed the Willys behind it, and the weight difference is so much higher compared to the Taco, that the risk of jack-knifing was significantly reduced. I also trailered it with the Bronco, and braking was much better than with the Taco.

With that said, I'd seriously reconsider using the Taco to tow a 40, 45 or 55 unless it's for short, infrequent trips, and even then I'd be real wary. Instead, I'd just make sure your 40, 45 or 55 are street legal, safe and road-worthy enough to make the trip on their own power unless you can get a decent towing vehicle and trailer.

Just my humble .02 cents.

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the input guys :)

taco is payed off and has been for quirte some time and if it won't do the job of being a tow rig, i guess i can always use my yukon xl as my tow rig ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.