TTORA Forum banner

Well I got me a mod list now

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  CoTacoTRD 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after running Carnage last night I have decided on what my next modes are going to be for this winter.

1. Custom build Tire Rack that uses the Bed Rail System.

2. All-pro plate bumper - $899

3. Get ether a wheel spacer or new wheels that have a back spacing of 4 or lower Going with the spidertrax spacers - $199.90

4. Shave body mounts to clear larger tires

5. Go to a 315/75R16 BFGoodrich KM2's (currently have a 265/75R16 KM)

6. Skids - about $500 from all-pro

7. High clearance rear plate bumper (build my self)

8. Regear and front lock.

Fill free to let me know what you think. I don't think I will get this all done this winter but I would like to try even if it means I am fab'ing the bumpers my self.

See less See more
#3 ·
List is good, with a few comments.

- I'd put the rear high clearance bumper ahead of the front bumper. I've been defeated on a number of obstacles because I couldn't clear my ass. The front armor is good, but you could absorb a few nicks and scrapes up there knowing you'll eventually replace it.

- You'll need to do A LOT of cutting and trimming to clear 35's. It's only been done by a couple of folks with 2" suspension lifts.

#7 ·
The trimming is not that bad. I have talk allot with all-pro about Sarah's set up. The only thing need is the body mounts shaved and the right back spacing along with a 3 inch lift which I have.

x2 if you are low on money/credit:D

If not do them at the same time.
I am trying to do the front bumper and tires at the same time from there I will decide if I need to re gear right away or if I can wait. I have been planning on changing tires since May because of the fact that my KM's suck in the rain and snow and I hear the KM2's are much better.

#4 ·
It's all money, money, money... Lots of times I look back and wish that I just got an older, cheaper truck....Because then I could have cooler offroad goodies too...

Do you have some fabrication skills? I gotta say, it's pretty difficult to turn out a 100% perfect product out of the backyard fabrication techniques... It's do-able certainly. All of my armor is made of scrap steel, that I cut and welded. None of its perfect, but I live with that. However, each piece comes out nicer than the last. That is only because I'm still gaining experience, though. Someday I would love to be at the point where I can honestly take somebodys money to build armor, and be 100% confident that they will be completely satisfied with my work. I would do it now, but I would be a little afraid of imperfections.

#10 ·
You need to see the bumper Matt (Jacket) got from Armorology on his next gen Taco.

I'll throw in my :2cents: against AllPro, but I don't have a lot of experience with their Taco bumpers, just 3rd party rhetoric.

Keep your MTs until they tread out. They suck in roadway snow driving and on ice, but in deep snow they are still formidable when aired down or augmented with chains. I can't say I'm a fan of 35s either. It's an awful lot of work to gain, maybe 13/16" of clearance over 33s that won't require anything but the lift, which you already have.

I highly recommend you drive it the way it is (plus armor) for a full season of varying terrain before you dive in head first. I dove in and have been retrofitting ever since and it's cost me WAY more than if I'd taken my time. It will also allow the market to flatten and parts will be come less expensive and more readily available. :2cents:

#11 ·
Sounds like a good list.

FWIW, 35's would have in no way helped you on any of the areas you got hung up on. On the first obstacle, you would have only cleared that rock with 40's, maybe.

on the last, you would have needed more suspension lift. Your frame was hung up, and you needed a good 4 inches of tire, or more lift, to make a difference.

I'm all for cutting up new trucks. I think they look good that way. Just wanting to point out that tire size wasn't the issue.

#12 ·
Yea I know tire size was not the issue but with out going with a drop bracket lift there is really no other way to gain 2-3 more inches with out larger tires. I also am adding to the list a Tire Rack that uses the bed rails system. I know there is one out there but I could build it and it should not cost as much, plus it will then be the way I want it.

#14 ·
I always hit my tow hitch first right now. But it is in the list and I am going to build it because I still have not found on that I like.

#16 ·
I don't know. I am running 285's now and I think I will armor up the under side and do the bumpers first before I go with more lift. I went cheap on my 2.5" lift for now. I figure I will wear out the stock suspension with lift parts in it before I remove everything and replace with a full 3 inch lift. Plus too if you consider upwards of a 35" tire you may also be looking at new gears in the diffs down the line to bring the power back. I would go under armor, rear bumper, and then front bumper. But in my case the front bumper may fall off first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.