TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thomas came over today and we began tearing down Tony's motor.

Thing went smooth enough other than some odd/deformed head bolts from obviously being over torqued during the p.o's rebuild.

With hopes being a valve being damaged, we optimistically removed the valve cover, and while tony and I worked on removing various hoses and crap ( California emission trucks suck!) Thomas guaged the valve clearences.

We found on valve that looked like it was stuck "high" just a little. So we proceeded to remove the head.

So after unbolting what seemed like useless hose after useless hose, we decided to just cut the exhaust pipe so we can put a flange on ( will speed up re-install)
After laughing at tony behind my new Rockwell sawzall. We pulled the head.

As we were doing so, tony inadvertly pressed down on the front piston which collapsed about a 1/4 of an inch.

Good news is the head and valves look good... But after Tony's "discovery" and our rotation of the crank, it appears there is a broken connecting rod...damn!

So the plan is next Sunday, Thomas will be back and we are going to pull the rest of the motor to confirm our suspicions

If anyone close has an engine hoist we can borrow, or if anyone would just like to come hang out we'll appreciate any help.

With basically Thomas's truck being down, mine and Tony's we're going to be busy before Harlan! So expect multiple WAT announcements!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just going to ask here to see if anyone knows and also as a reminder...

Anyone know if a 22r block can be used with a 22re head? The only real concern I have is compression ratio.

Also do you mind if I use your sawzall next time I come down for some fender clearancing when I come down with the pickup? I'm going to throw the 35s on tomorrow at work when I pull the axle

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem using the saw! I have to admit, it makes the cuts quick and easier!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing