TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey is there anywhere in particular i should look to find one or you just have to pass one for sale on the side of the road i have looked on the web alot (guess not in the right places) but not much luck condition wise is not a big deal am in automotive school and ready or a project can weld too:welder: but any advise or help would be great

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Craigslist is my favorite place. I'll soon have an 89 for sale....
how much and got any pics my problem is right now i have two options sell or trade my 63 impala and pick up a 4runner or find one for cheap like 2 grand and keep the impala all the 4runners i see are like 4 or 5 grand but ya i have been checking out craigslist

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
misterzee is the master of finding first gens on craigslist! :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ok, well, its a bit early, but.... the one I'm working on is an 89, 22re, automatic. I know auto is not for everyone though... but, that's what it is.:D
The truck is a DX (base model) package, and the only "two-seater" I've ever seen. It has NO back seats, just flat all the way from the tailgate to the front seats.
Its metallic blue, has a little body rust in the usual places, almost new tires, bla bla bla. It needs a bath, and interior clean up.
I'm doing a top-end and timing chain on the motor, in my usual, ridiculously careful manner... I will also do all the fluids, hoses, belts and make sure the important stuff works correctly, like brakes etc.
It needs a stereo...
and a home....

'Hope to have it on the road by next week. It will be LESS than $2k for sure!

Sorry this turned into an advertisement... maybe we should just move it to classifieds?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its cool with me looks like a good truck i actually am talking to a guy right now he wants 1,500 said there is no rust and straight frame lives close to me going to check it out with cash in hand so more than likely will pick it up thank god for tax returns :2cents: it defently needs some work but after seeing yours man idk it looks alot cleaner than this one

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm picking up two this weekend, a 88 and a 89. The 88 I'm getting for $300 that's just a roller and the 89 has the 3.0L but it's been rebuilt 15k miles ago (so they say) but has a bad trany. Found them both on craigslist. The best way to search C/L is craigslook.com cause you search in a radius of a location instead of by city.

There's a few more out there.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
What's the big deal w/1st gen 4Runners unless they are SA '84-85s? I'm confused. Post '85 1st gens are cheep & out there. Yes, look as U drive & be patient grasshoppa'. Or just get a 2nd gen w/wider rear axle etc for SASing.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
What's the big deal w/1st gen 4Runners unless they are SA '84-85s? I'm confused. Post '85 1st gens are cheep & out there. Yes, look as U drive & be patient grasshoppa'. Or just get a 2nd gen w/wider rear axle etc for SASing.
If I ever do another Runner it will be a 2 or 3rd gen.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
THis is true, you can pick up a 2nd gen with a blown 3.0 cheaper than half a first gen. They're as numerous as fleas. Much betta on the creature comforts too. But, its just not a first gen.... :D

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
what! its awesome because the top comes off! duh! :) despite her problems, i LOVE my first gen! (even without the sfa!!)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
This one is a POS.. I went to look at it/buy it today with 88cleve4runner and yea.. didnt even make an offer. Looks great in pictures but runs not so good, no way in he!! that thing is rebuilt. I wouldn't give him half of the 4000
would make a great trail rig... but will need some TLC before i'd trust it and all. but definately not anywhere near what he's wanting for it.

what! its awesome because the top comes off! duh! :) despite her problems, i LOVE my first gen! (even without the sfa!!)
yeah me too!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Bummer that your truck-look trip didn't turn out. Just be patient and keep lookin!

To me, a part of the whole thing is eye appeal, I just like the look of the first gen 4Runner. (obviously) It seems a bit smaller than the subsequent models, and I like that on the trail and in the woods. Nicole is right too, we LOVE taking the top off on a nice day, only 12 bolts. :D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
or just build a can-back and get a 1st gen pickup....I just happen to know where a really good one is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts