TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Despite the weather pissing down on me on Saturday thus giving me and my Geap a nice mud bath, me failing miserably at the entrance on Carnage right off the bat, and getting left behind to fend for myself while I'm stuck & bound up on the exit....I really did have a great time :D .....really! And you know why? Plain & simple trail courtesy & good company :kewl: I'm not going to turn this into a typical Geap forum-like drama thread, so I won't go into it any further here...and it's not the TTORA members that need a trail etiquette 101 lesson anyway ;)

I want to give a HUGE thanks....or as these young whipper snappers are calling it nowadays "Shout out"....to all those that helped get my junk unstuck on Carnage yesterday :clap: When people ask me "Why are YOU in a Toyota club", it's people like you that is the reason...that includes George & Terry. Thanks for sticking around on the last obstacle guys ;) I also appreciated Doug, Nate, Ike, & company finding a campsite to accommodate a truck & trailer, just for my dumb ass...I'm just glad I could turn that crap around on that road up by Baldwin after Iron Chest :eek: I bet I could pass a CDL test after that :rolleyes:

If no one minds, I'm going to lift some pics people posted & put them on my website. I'll give credit to the photographers on my album page. Let me know if you don't want me to post anything on my site. Great pics guys! :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Despite the weather pissing down on me on Saturday thus giving me and my Geap a nice mud bath, me failing miserably at the entrance on Carnage right off the bat, and getting left behind to fend for myself while I'm stuck & bound up on the exit....I really did have a great time :D .....really!
Hell yeah you did! Shawn we love having you in CoTTORA now. I mean you wh0red it out with who... SoCal CoTTORA and AzTTORA? Cool Peeps. The fact that you call us home is kinda cool too :D

And you know why? Plain & simple trail courtesy & good company :kewl: I'm not going to turn this into a typical Geap forum-like drama thread, so I won't go into it any further here...and it's not the TTORA members that need a trail etiquette 101 lesson anyway ;)
Yeah That's what we hear. We never leave someone behind! We don't care what you drive! :D

I want to give a HUGE thanks....or as these young whipper snappers are calling it nowadays "Shout out"....to all those that helped get my junk unstuck on Carnage yesterday :clap: When people ask me "Why are YOU in a Toyota club", it's people like you that is the reason...that includes George & Terry. Thanks for sticking around on the last obstacle guys ;) I also appreciated Doug, Nate, Ike, & company finding a campsite to accommodate a truck & trailer, just for my dumb ass...I'm just glad I could turn that crap around on that road up by Baldwin afterwords :eek: I bet I could pass a CDL test after that :rolleyes:
I love my CoTTORA Peeps. All of you. Including you geep guy!

Wish I couylda been there ofr the trail I kep telling you I knew you woulda loved. Looks like I better be there for CACTUS or Die Trying! :D

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
yea that d80 or d90 whatever it is that you have is siiiick. plus, you've definitely got an eye for it (assuming you took the majority of the pics i've seen you post...) always love seein wheelin pics!
D80, and thanks. Every picture i post thats not of ME driving MY truck, is taken by me. :p All the pictures i posted up of me in that rock pile, and on whales tail (from OCG) were taken by Ike (majority of them), and Doug (for the last few on Whales Tail)

Thanks for sticking around on the last obstacle guys ;) I also appreciated Doug, Nate, Ike, & company finding a campsite to accommodate a truck & trailer, just for my dumb ass..

If no one minds, I'm going to lift some pics people posted & put them on my website. I'll give credit to the photographers on my album page.
No problem at all Shawn, I know how it goes trying to get a truck/trailer back into a decent camp site. I used to run ahead on a dirt bike when I was younger and look for decent sites we could get my dads pig of a truck into. We've had much larger trailers, on much tighter trails, in much smaller/secluded camp sites than where we were this weekend ;) It's all part of the fun :D . Was happy to help on the exit at Carnage too, wasn't a big deal at all.

Go for it on the pics; Doesn't bother me since it'll be done right.

Thanks for the pic's Nate!

Here's we took (and took too many):

http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/qq81/MickeyB44/Carnage BV 6-21-09/

What trail is the first pic from? We want to go there, very good pic.

Thanks again too all.
George & Terry
Good pictures there!

If your talking about the pictures i posted, the first 6 posted pictures are all from Iron Chest. It was a very cool, scenic trail. The 'boulder' field in the beginning was about the only interesting part on the trail, however it was still a blast to run. It was awesome to be up above the clouds once we got to the top.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice photos everyone, and that's some wheeling. Carnage is... wow. So much more than I ever plan to do. :D Those Iron Chest pics though... I'm mountain-sick now. Looks like there are quite a few people around here with a good eye for framing shots.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice pics everyone. Looks like the scenery up there is pretty spectacular! Nate, glad to see you are finally putting some wear on those KM2's.:D

·
7,735 Posts
Pix of Carnage don't do it justice.. especially the exit. That's the first time I've ever seen that in person. Part of it is the fact the yellow orange and gray jeeps are fuckin HUGE and they make those rocks look small. Hell, Shawn's jeep is pretty damn big (compared to our trucks) and he looks like a stocker next to them.

I got some pix, but my other laptop is acting up so haven't had a chance to upload yet.

·
20,355 Posts
It was crazy rolling up and having the JeepGuy go from by far the biggest truck to being the smallest. Then on the walk back after watching them go through the entrance we ran into a truck on 47's that made all of the trucks look small.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
47's, man that's ridiculously huge. Basically a 4-foot tire. I mean, how easy do you want to make it? On 47's you'd have to be crawling over parked monster trucks to make it very challenging. C-mon, if I need 4 feet of tire to wheel it, maybe its not meant to be wheeled. Compared to our trucks, I think of Jeepguy's rig as incredibly well-built. 40's to me seem to be approaching ridiculous. I think 37's are pretty close to the sweet spot between capable and still challenging, but there's no accounting for taste. (and now that I've said that, I'll probably be wheeling 49's some day so you guys can make me eat my words). :)

I was hanging out at a local 4wd shop yesterday and the owner (a sas guy)was looking at my truck and said he prefers the challenge of wheeling on nothing bigger than 35's, and that he loved wheeling IFS trucks on 33's because it was so much easier to find challenging runs/lines. Anyone with some cash can build a monster truck and point and shoot drive it. But getting an IFS truck on 33's through a lot of the trails you can find just about anywhere is lots fun, just about the right challenge - though it has its limitations. I just wish the CV's held up better. I love wheeling 33's, partly because its also my DD'er and I don't want to be one of those guys parked at the Mall on 40's.

I see how much fun the guys on solid axles and 37-40-inch tires have on the same trails I run with them out here, and it does look fun. Don't get me wrong. But there is something to the "keep it challenging" argument. There's a guy out here in AZ, T-Bob (owner of Built II Beat Fabrication), who wheels an IFS Taco on 33's and he makes some lines that leave the SAS guys with their jaws on the ground. Its driving skills like that that I find impressive and inspiring.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Then on the walk back after watching them go through the entrance we ran into a truck on 47's that made all of the trucks look small.
And he broke... a lot... most of the buggies we were with were on 42s.

·
20,355 Posts
With huge tires you have the challenge of not breaking. I hear the guy on 47's broke big time.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
And he broke... a lot... most of the buggies we were with were on 42s.
That's the big reason I'm sticking with 37s. Eventually, I'll probably get stickies and then I'll be pushing it even a little further with the added traction. But if I went to 40s w/o upgrading my axles I'd be snapping them left & right. Not to mention I already have a full set of spares front & rear NOW. And anyone who thinks you HAVE to have 40s or bigger to wheel hard-core hasn't wheeled with the Raisin ;)

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
It's actually VERY easy to overbuild a rig in Colorado. There have been quite a few people who SAS'd went to 37's or bigger and then couldn't find anything fun to run. Rig was too built to drive on the road to the scenic trails, and towing was too much of a PITA, so they end up not 'wheeling very much.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, that sure is a waste, Troy. I was really surprised initially when looking at the rigs you guys were bringing to Moab, at how 33's were about the biggest tires in the group. That makes sense now with what you said about overbuilt rigs in CO. I'm often in the least-built or second to the least built rig if a guy in a stocker shows up when I wheel out here. A lot of solid axle trucks in this area, partly since there are so many buggy runs to be had around here. You have a good sized group of trucks with similar builds in terms of lift and tires. That made it fun in Moab, knowing we were all in a similar situation in terms of build. Front locker or not becomes the separation as opposed to sas or IFS.

Shawn's right... Wheelin' with the Raisin is a whole other level of psychotic behavior. We do love that guy around here. Watching him wheel is crazy good fun!

·
7,735 Posts
Here's some of the pix (still editing some vid):

Shawn found some snow to bash up there too... It seems he's not the biggest fan of our weather.

Some cool cabins up top

Nate found a rock to play on.. I swear it looked like he was going over, and I wasn't the only one. (I got some video of this too).

The rest can be found here: Full size available on request:
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/MrDoug47/Iron Chest 6-09/

·
Registered
434 Posts
is the video on your photobucket? i didn't see it. i want to see nate playin on that rock!!

maybe one day my taco'll be built enough to do trails like this... *sigh*

·
20,355 Posts
great pics. thought you had taken more, but i guess we were all moving for the most part in the boulder feild.

·
20,355 Posts
that pic makes nate look so not tippy, but in person it looked like he was about to flop everytime he moved forward. I may have been a bit paranoid though after seeing durancia flop on about the same angle less than a week before.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts