TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my D44 for a while now but it's currently in storage. I started searching online recently for brake parts but the problem I'm running into is I don't know the specific details of my axle. What I was told by the guy that sold it to me is that it's a D44 out of an early 80's Wagoneer. And here are my questions:

Is there a way to distinguish the exact year because there appears to be a difference between the 83 and the 84?

Is there a way to determine whether this came out of a Wagoneer or a Grand Wagoneer?

Does the specific year or model it came out of even matter if I know the general era?

What brakes would you recommend for it? I have about $300 in my pocket right now for pads, rotors, dust shield and anything else I may need for the brakes. I was told by the PO the calipers were put on fairly new so I shouldn't need those. I'd rather keep it under the $300 which I'm thinking would be enough but if not, based on your recommendations, I'd rather wait till my next paycheck than risk the brakes failing.

Here are some pictures to help:




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
933 Posts
The housing will have a number casted into it. You can find info on the numbers in the Dana tech info that the Dick has posted. It might be in the FAQ or someone will throw it up. Whats up with those spring pads though. The axle dosent have a good tire to leaf spring clearance on the original mounts let alone outside of them. What vehicle did it come off. Looks like a waggy, but I've never really looked at a grand waggy axle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spring perches were just sitting on there in no particular place. It was easier to keep track of them there vs being kicked around on the floor. I'm planning to line them up centered with the springs and weld them in place.

As for what vehicle it came off,,, reread my post paying special attention at the second question since that's one of the things I'm trying to determine. The axle is in storage (also in my first post) until next March since the military couldn't ship it to my current assignment. It will, however, be waiting for me at my next assignment but I'm trying to purchase all the parts I need for the SAC beforehand. This is why I was asking questions about the specifics of the axle based off the pictures. I don't have it with me, was only given vague information about it from the previous owner, and want to buy parts for it. Does this clarify things for everyone?

Thanks
-- Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
it looks like it is out of a wagoneer, grand wagoneer, i do not know the difference. try ordering parts for an 88 grand wagoneer, same axle. my dad alsways told me you can never put enough money into your brakes. they can save your life. you will also need to get a yoke for that guy, hubs and stuff, knuckles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This spreadsheet is what I've got and need right now. As you can see, I have most of what I'll need. The green highlight is what I have and the rest is what I know I need. Am I missing anything else or know where I could find any of the "needed" stuff cheaper (keep in mind these prices include shipping USPS)? Keeping on track with the thread, I guess what I need to know is what are the differences between the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer axles between 1983 and 1985.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
933 Posts
It looks like it is a regular waggy axle. There will be a date and info stamped on the ring gear, and you should be ablee to determine what housing it is based on the number stamped in the housing. I dont know the difference between the two, but I thought the grand waggy was a different track width and also had control arms instead of leaf springs. Not sure though.

I thought the spring perches were there from the previous owner that had it on a different vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
little_red1 said:
I've had my D44 for a while now but it's currently in storage. I started searching online recently for brake parts but the problem I'm running into is I don't know the specific details of my axle. What I was told by the guy that sold it to me is that it's a D44 out of an early 80's Wagoneer. And here are my questions:

Is there a way to distinguish the exact year because there appears to be a difference between the 83 and the 84?

Is there a way to determine whether this came out of a Wagoneer or a Grand Wagoneer?

Does the specific year or model it came out of even matter if I know the general era?

What brakes would you recommend for it? I have about $300 in my pocket right now for pads, rotors, dust shield and anything else I may need for the brakes. I was told by the PO the calipers were put on fairly new so I shouldn't need those. I'd rather keep it under the $300 which I'm thinking would be enough but if not, based on your recommendations, I'd rather wait till my next paycheck than risk the brakes failing.
From the pics I'd say that's definitely a D44 but check the numbers to be absolutely sure.
I don't think the specific year is a really big deal. Most of the parts will interchange between years. The original axle I bought was out of an '83 Grand Wagoneer, but I later decided to have Currie build me a custom 9". When I need parts for mine I just tell the counterperson, "Eighty-something." or "early eighties"

A little advice:
Those rotors look fine. Save yourself some money and use them. I used mine just as they came off the old axle and they've given me no grief. I just cleaned them up and sandblasted the heavy rust. If you want to have them turned that's OK but you can save yourself some money and put it towards other things you'll be needing...like flat top knuckles, gears, etc.

Also, keep your stock front brake hoses (assuming they're in good shape). Aftermarket hoses are 24" long, the factory Toyota pieces are 22" long. That's a lot of money to spend for 2". I have yet to stretch my factory pieces to the limit.

Replace the calipers. They're so cheap to replace it doesn't make sense to rebuild them. Besides, it's just good practice. You can buy loaded calipers (incules the pads) for about $50 each at NAPA. No need to go with super wham-a-dyne pads either. The Delco calipers are so oversized for this truck that even cheap pads should last a long time. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely recommend good pads, but you don't need anything fancy.

Unless you plan on running two different sets of lug nuts you'll have to replace the studs in the rotors. Jeeps of that year used SAE, Toyota is metric. NAPA part number 641-3126 is a direct replacement. 12 of them, with nuts, should cost you around $20.

Replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, bearings and races. You don't know how well the donor vehicle was maintained. Again, it's just good practice.

Shock towers:
I've seen some really nice home made stuff and, as far as I know, they all work equally well. I bought Ford pieces, part number E5TZ-18183-A. About $30 for a pair.

I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff but I can't think of it at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
looks odd to me - my waggy had the sping perch cast into housing - you have the hole there for the U-Bolt but on the perch....umm what's the wms to wms? a standard waggy I believe is 61". Oh mine was out of and 82 waggy

little_red1 said:
I've had my D44 for a while now but it's currently in storage. I started searching online recently for brake parts but the problem I'm running into is I don't know the specific details of my axle. What I was told by the guy that sold it to me is that it's a D44 out of an early 80's Wagoneer. And here are my questions:

Is there a way to distinguish the exact year because there appears to be a difference between the 83 and the 84?

Is there a way to determine whether this came out of a Wagoneer or a Grand Wagoneer?

Does the specific year or model it came out of even matter if I know the general era?

What brakes would you recommend for it? I have about $300 in my pocket right now for pads, rotors, dust shield and anything else I may need for the brakes. I was told by the PO the calipers were put on fairly new so I shouldn't need those. I'd rather keep it under the $300 which I'm thinking would be enough but if not, based on your recommendations, I'd rather wait till my next paycheck than risk the brakes failing.

Here are some pictures to help:




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
I always walked right past the ones w/out locking hubs because I thought they were the vacuum disconnect types that you weren't "supposed" to use?
Is the difference just that you won't be able to lock/unlock hubs or are you changing more than the brakes? Just curious- don't know that much about Dana stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TBob said:
looks odd to me - my waggy had the sping perch cast into housing - you have the hole there for the U-Bolt but on the perch....umm what's the wms to wms? a standard waggy I believe is 61". Oh mine was out of and 82 waggy
It's 61" WMS-WMS so I'm thinking it's from a standard waggy as well. When ordering parts online, does it matter what year it is if it's known to be between '80 and '85?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
banThis said:
I always walked right past the ones w/out locking hubs because I thought they were the vacuum disconnect types that you weren't "supposed" to use?
Is the difference just that you won't be able to lock/unlock hubs or are you changing more than the brakes? Just curious- don't know that much about Dana stuff.
I plan to be changing out everything on the ends with the exception of the hubs and rotors and (for now) outer axles. I was informed before that all I'd need is to swap in the warn locking hubs. I don't plan to have it fully engaged all the time as I plan to drive to and from the trails with it. I can't afford a tow rig or trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
don't think so - I know guys have talked about a vacuum set-up but I really don't know what those were about or how they differed

little_red1 said:
It's 61" WMS-WMS so I'm thinking it's from a standard waggy as well. When ordering parts online, does it matter what year it is if it's known to be between '80 and '85?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
84-89 waggy looks like, i just had an alignment and thats what we used, i dont know the difference between them either or if thats a vacuum disconnect or not,get some chevy flat top knuckles 76 ish and get some high steer going,you'll be glad you did if your gonna really wheel that thing, i've bent 2 tie rods now that were 1.5 x.375 wall,
arent you in colorado little red 1?
and yes those studs are not metric, but i made it work with a set of sae and a set of metric,but you could change them out, and for sure rebuild all that stuff before you build it up, i'm running 3/4 ton gm brakes and they work fine, just go and trade those calipers in and get some new ones, have those rotors turned ,i would recommend the stainless lines though,mine rub on stuff, and the rubber would have worn through already if i hadn't done the steel, good luck with everything, you cutting up soon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
banThis said:
I always walked right past the ones w/out locking hubs because I thought they were the vacuum disconnect types that you weren't "supposed" to use?
Is the difference just that you won't be able to lock/unlock hubs or are you changing more than the brakes? Just curious- don't know that much about Dana stuff.
I don't think any of the Wagoneers of that vintage had hubs but I could be wrong. Most, if not all, were either full time 4WD or Quadra-trac.

All of these axles can be fitted with manual hubs. Very simple. Just remove the splined coupling and install the hubs.

Don't know what the vacuum disconnect axles were. Same as a regular 44 but with a vacuum operated spline to disconnect one axle, something lilke Toyota's ADD axles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guapotaco said:
84-89 waggy looks like, i just had an alignment and thats what we used, i dont know the difference between them either or if thats a vacuum disconnect or not,get some chevy flat top knuckles 76 ish and get some high steer going,you'll be glad you did if your gonna really wheel that thing, i've bent 2 tie rods now that were 1.5 x.375 wall,
arent you in colorado little red 1?
and yes those studs are not metric, but i made it work with a set of sae and a set of metric,but you could change them out, and for sure rebuild all that stuff before you build it up, i'm running 3/4 ton gm brakes and they work fine, just go and trade those calipers in and get some new ones, have those rotors turned ,i would recommend the stainless lines though,mine rub on stuff, and the rubber would have worn through already if i hadn't done the steel, good luck with everything, you cutting up soon?
I have stainless brake lines, chevy flat top knuckles, and hysteer arms with 1" spacers. I'm learning from other's stories of tearing up their steering because it's not hysteer. I'm not in Colorado anymore. I've moved on to Turkey for the next couple years. Although I'm loving it here, I've recently learned I may not be able to bring any of my household goods from storage because of Turkish customs laws. :banghead: My axle is in my household goods storage!!! :mad: If I am able to smooth things over with Turkish customs so they'll allow my stuff in country, I'll be cutting in April/May time frame. If not, then I'll be cutting April 2009. :suicide:

I'm cool with changing out the studs so they're metric all around. Anyone know where I can get them? Preferably online since there's no such thing as a local autozone around here. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
little_red1 said:
I'm cool with changing out the studs so they're metric all around. Anyone know where I can get them? Preferably online since there's no such thing as a local autozone around here. :(
NAPA part # 641-3126
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
Guapotaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top