TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, it is a rear differential. I bought it from some yuppie in orlando off of ebay about a year ago for $100. He said it had 4.10 gears. I just believed him. Now I am wondering the gear ratio and what axle it really is (8.4" or 8"). It is definitely a post 1995.5. By doing the rotation test I am getting 4.56. Does anyone know of a way to find out what this is before I tear it apart. I am going to have to tear it apart anyways to put a locker in before it makes its way under my truck. I just wanted to figure it out before I got that far.
I have no clue the year or details of the truck it came out of. The guy said it was an Automatic Prerunner Taco, but who knows. He didn't sound too sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking at it side by side to my 8.4", it looks identical. But I never studied the 8" out of the TRD very closely either. What are the cosmetic differences?

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
FWIW, my non-TRD 99 Prerunner 2.7L auto ex cab had stock 4.56 gear ratio in its 8.4" (it's actually an 8" ring gear, but it's been erroneously referred to as an "8.4'" diff). I realize that may or may not help much, but thought I'd mention it.

As far as trying to figure out what gear ratio it is, open the diff and count the teeth on the ring gear and the pinion, then divide the ring gear teeth number by the pinion gear teeth number and that should give you a more accurate gear ratio. Here are a couple links that explain the calculation a little better:

http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearring.htm

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0208_gear_ratio_calculating/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I knew about the 8.4 thing being wrong but you get the point when it is in that context (too mant TRDs and nonTRDs in a couple of sentence paragraph tends to get confusing). I am really thinking I got some 4.56s out of the deal. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
if it was an auto with the 2.7 then good chances are it is 4.56

I have an auto 2.7 and got 4.56's from the factory

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Look for any markings on the ring gear and post them.
Post some pics as well.
Post the tooth count on both the ring gear and pinion gear-

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Actually, it is a rear differential. I bought it from some yuppie in orlando off of ebay about a year ago for $100. He said it had 4.10 gears. I just believed him. Now I am wondering the gear ratio and what axle it really is (8.4" or 8"). It is definitely a post 1995.5. By doing the rotation test I am getting 4.56. Does anyone know of a way to find out what this is before I tear it apart. I am going to have to tear it apart anyways to put a locker in before it makes its way under my truck. I just wanted to figure it out before I got that far.
I have no clue the year or details of the truck it came out of. The guy said it was an Automatic Prerunner Taco, but who knows. He didn't sound too sure.
just count the ring gear teeth and pinion teeth for the ratio.

most likely 4.56 with a 2.7 AT if pre '01 and the donor truck had factory (optional) 31s.
I've seen some early prerunners with 4.30s/AT/2.7 but not until the '01 model year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts