TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinkin of getting an are camper shell. They are not cheap, whAt brand and models do you have? Any pics or reviews of shell would be great thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
none

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've been wanting one for a while now too.
I have the fiberglass tonneau cover now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a SnugTop XV a year and a half ago. For some dumbass reason I sold it. Well I am going to be getting another SnugTop. This time I am going to get the windoors that open up on the sides.

How much was that snugtop? Looks good

·
Registered
365 Posts

Its a basic ARE that came with the truck. My only complaints is its not a PERFECT fit but about 95%. I wish the previous owner had gotten carpeting on the inside and the roof rack option. The guy said something about mine being aroun $1300 2 years ago.

I like it, just wish it was optioned better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ARE has a KNOWN issue with fit. The bed rail across the front does not seal without a LOT of DICKING around and mine never has sealed.

It drips in water when it rains, then fogs up when it gets warm.
Look else where for the money...
They look nice but they are difficult to get to seal.

Word of advice with any topper.....its the installer/dealer....once you buy it you have to deal with the installer/dealer for any issues. Find a good dealer and it will go a long way in your satisfaction.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
seams like ARE, SnugTop, and Leer are the most popular brands. I am also in the market for a camper shell, what are people's experience with the ARE Z series and getting it to seal... How about the Leer 100** series or SnugTop super sport?

·
Registered
393 Posts
ARE has a KNOWN issue with fit. The bed rail across the front does not seal without a LOT of DICKING around and mine never has sealed.

It drips in water when it rains, then fogs up when it gets warm.
Look else where for the money...
They look nice but they are difficult to get to seal.

Word of advice with any topper.....its the installer/dealer....once you buy it you have to deal with the installer/dealer for any issues. Find a good dealer and it will go a long way in your satisfaction.
Here is a link to a thread about the sealing problems.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123249

I have a Leer 100XQ. I have had it for about a year now, and have no complaints. About half way down there are 2 pics of the Leeron my truck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My ARE has been great. No problems at all. The only thing I would have done different is to have gotten the windows that open from the outside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
daverami, which version of the ARE camper shell do you have on your truck? Also, is it carpeted inside?

·
Registered
224 Posts

I have a Snugtop but went with the cheaper model with the aluminum framed
rear window; I didn't want the all glass window to break or chip around the edges if I had lumber or something hanging out the back, also get one with a front slider, the boot screws up the paint. I paid $1100 which was less than retail, I found a dealer that had it in stock and paid cash.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i'm on the verge of buying the ARE cx series, however the Z looks like a better match. thanks for the info dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
My opinion is all of the top brands are at the same level more or less quality wise, ARE, Snug top, Leer, etc. What my local camper shell guy said is that all the top brands are good, but he felt that ARE just tried a little harder then the others overall in his experiences working with all the brands. I have had no issues with ARE in the past. This is a quality built shell. The issues are as mentioned above, go with a reputable business, the install seems easy but experience helps here. Also, probably the biggest issue is our trucks. Its a tough truck bed to seal up. Search and you will find this seems to be more the issue then any one brand out there. The ARE is a good looking shell as well, with quality paint and good matching results. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
My third shell is a SnugTop. I am very pleased. The first two were off-brands. All have been fine but the SnugTop has fit best.

1. Get the flip down front window for cleaning, worth the money!!
2. I also removed the side window screens to make them easier to clean.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Anyone want my Shortbox red ARE? Its for sale?
Cheap! In the Minneapolis area!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts