TTORA Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
... Also, probably the biggest issue is our trucks. Its a tough truck bed to seal up. Search and you will find this seems to be more the issue then any one brand out there...
x2 on seal when it comes to dust. The bed has drain holes everwhere. Great without a cap, they let water out. But with a cap they suck dust in! The tailgate is the real challange. It's like Toyota's engineers never considered that someone might put a cap on the bed...

Here are my dust proofing steps

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's the ARE CX series, Windoor side. Whatever you get get the Windoor. Even with the shortbed, it's convenient not to have to crawl in for items as often. For me, it's great for reaching in to unbolt my Hilift jack from the side. Also a drop down front window is handy for cleaning the glass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi,
raider hi-rise canopy, great for camping,
mostly happy, but made about a half inch too long, bad mold?
poor customer service, no help, wtf, i paid $1900,

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
hi,
raider hi-rise canopy, great for camping,
mostly happy, but made about a half inch too long, bad mold?
Poor customer service, no help, wtf, i paid $1900,
x2.........(on raider)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put a Vista, Alpine 500 model shell on my 2009 Reg. Cab. I think this is a regionally available brand (i.e., southwest). If I had to do it over, I would probably look more closely into the more popular brands (Snugtop, Leer, ARE), and pay a few hundred more for higher quality. I chose this brand because I had one previously that was great, but I am a little disappointed in the quality of the construction of this new one. The paint looks great and matches perfectly, but some of the details of construction seem a little sloppy compared to the one I bought in 1992 for my Dodge. I'd recommend checking out several trucks (inside and out) that already have the brands you are considering before shelling out your hard earned money.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Snugtop, came on the truck. As far as looks go the snug top def. looks the best. The rear window latch is garbage and thats my only complaint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Leonard (Leer ripoff) on my old 03 Ranger. Top never fit 100%, it was a bit wider at the front than in it back but with enough weatherstripper it sealed ok. The other issue was that the locks siezed on it after 1 winter of salt. Overall not a bad cap for the price.

I found out that I hated having a cap on my truck. Everything I wanted to haul was .5" taller than the cap. Durring the winter the back window would be covered in salt spray. After 6 miles you might sa well throw your rear view mirror away. Anytime I was dressed nice and put something in the bed, it would inevitably roll all the way to the front. I honnestly dont know why anyone would want a cap on their truck. If you needed secure, dry space then you should have bought a FJ.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've got an ARE CX series on mine. Same complaint as the others- hard to seal along the front (mine's been on about two years or so and needs to be resealed), but otherwise not bad. I really wish I had gotten the windoors and the drop down front window; they make getting things out and cleaning much easier.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I been looking for one for my 08 long bed. I personally don't like them, but i need to hols a ladder and equipment for work, so it would be better.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was looking at my truck today trying to fab up another project, when I thought of how a camper shell may seal better on the Tacoma. What if you take the plastic side bed rails off?. It seems this may give it a "tighter seal" at the base from the start. No protection is needed if you have a shell on, but for good measure a bed spray liner in place of the bed rails will work to protect the body from any damage. Check it out... :cool:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a Snugtop Supersport, it's a good shell. I just don't like the side windows, I would rather have them side open. It for sale too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a SnugTop XV a year and a half ago. For some dumbass reason I sold it. Well I am going to be getting another SnugTop. This time I am going to get the windoors that open up on the sides.

Those photos are of a Snugtop? Do you know the model? Love the look of it (esp. the bulgy line below the windows).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts