TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they are supposed to be Precision Gear....these ones to be exact http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66535&highlight=front+tacoma

it looks like i see a .007" scribed on the outer rim of the ring. is that what back lash is supposed to be set at?

then there is a 334 scribed on the outer rim of the ring....dont know what that is.

and the pinion has some numbers inscribed on the end of it. 2.258" is that what the crush sleeve measured out to with the shims?

and 334 again.

sorry for the crappy phone pics. and thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
they must have been bought used correct? When gears are set up the one who does them usually scribes/engraves the backlash etc. on them.
Just realized, those are my old gears I sold to Jamie lol. Those things were f'in brand new basically. I had them professionally installed too. I still have the damn receipt even.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nobody knows?

im sure that Zuk guy would know...the guy from the gearinstall website. does he frequent this website much?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
they are supposed to be Precision Gear....these ones to be exact http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66535&highlight=front+tacoma

it looks like i see a .007" scribed on the outer rim of the ring. is that what back lash is supposed to be set at?

then there is a 334 scribed on the outer rim of the ring....dont know what that is.

and the pinion has some numbers inscribed on the end of it. 2.258" is that what the crush sleeve measured out to with the shims?

and 334 again.

sorry for the crappy phone pics. and thanks for the help!
i dont know this for a fact.. but that 334 is there so they can be kept together as a matched set.

·
Registered
370 Posts
im sure that Zuk guy would know...the guy from the gearinstall website. does he frequent this website much?
Off the top of my head the 334 doesn't ring any bells.....shoot some clear pics of the script and I might tell more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off the top of my head the 334 doesn't ring any bells.....shoot some clear pics of the script and I might tell more.
i can tell you that there is def a 2.258" scribed on the tip of the pinion gear. it even has the inch symbol after it.

and on the ring, a machine stamped sequence of symbols as follows "tac 4.88r 05/01" which is all pretty self explainatory. and then after that is a hand scribed 0.07" with the inch symbol also..... i think thats backlash correct?

im going to buy a gear splitter set and a magnetic base dial indicator and try doing my first gear install.... ill be using your website for as much info as i can along the way...thanks again Zuk! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yours is not the E-Locker version is it?
If you have the girdle style "non-trd" 3rd then the pinion depth shim is behind the inner pinion race. This is good because, often, it will be the correct depth...at least in the case of MOTIVE ring and pinions it will be.
You don't want your used 488 to break so make sure you shim the carrier bearings for good 'tightness'. :xbeer3: ZUK

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yours is not the E-Locker version is it?
If you have the girdle style "non-trd" 3rd then the pinion depth shim is behind the inner pinion race. This is good because, often, it will be the correct depth...at least in the case of MOTIVE ring and pinions it will be.
You don't want your used 488 to break so make sure you shim the carrier bearings for good 'tightness'. :xbeer3: ZUK
it is a non TRD. so i dont have to worry about pressing the old bearing off the old pinion to access shims? ill just get new pinion bearings and press them on the 4.88 pinions.

i ordered all new stuff for the rear from DC4WD so hopefully it will come in soon and i can get started!

·
Registered
370 Posts
it is a non TRD. so i dont have to worry about pressing the old bearing off the old pinion to access shims? ill just get new pinion bearings and press them on the 4.88 pinions.

i ordered all new stuff for the rear from DC4WD so hopefully it will come in soon and i can get started!
Shim is behind the inner race....you might not need to touch it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts