TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see what others carry when wheeling short term (1-5 days) for their "survival kit".

I've got a UWS slimline tool box in the back of my DC. Inside of that, I've got (or a couple items I'm purchasing this week to compliment my new winch):

HiLift
factory bottle jack
Shovel
Axe
spare starter
3 qt water
tow strap
tree strap
misc rope
shackles x 3
snatch block
50' of 5/16" winch extension rope.
socket set (metric and reg)
misc hand tools (screw drivers, long nose, vise grips, channel locks, etc).
multi meter
Haynes Manual
road flares x 8
small blue tarp
mag light (plus a streamlight in the cab)
spare batteries
duct tape
electrical tape
misc wire connectors
10' 12ga wire
tire repair kit
air (foam) in a can 2 cans
1 lb bottle of propane
propane torch
leather gloves
snow chains (although I may be ditching these now that I've got a winch unless I expect snow).

Needless to say, that little tool box holds a ton of crap, and it's always there and out of the way. I carry a ton of crap, but I'm usually way out on my own or with my 11 year old boy, so I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.......

Inside the cab I've got a large first aid kit and rain jacket behind the back seat. Other than that I don't store anything in the cab. I hate clutter (and the rattles and squeeks it usually brings)!

Anything obvious I'm missing? What do you take?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey, I'm wanting a tool box for my DC as well. Could you tell me where to find a picture of it and where to get it? Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TWIN said:
Hey, I'm wanting a tool box for my DC as well. Could you tell me where to find a picture of it and where to get it? Thanks
-Matt
I don't recall where I got mine from, but they're available from a couple places on the net.

UWS Slimline box

They've got measurements for the boxes on their site.

I got the black powdercoated slimline. Nice box, and really holds a suprisingly large amount of crap.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
97TacoDude said:
A .357 magnum.
So when you break something out in the middle of nowhere you can hijack passing rigs and make them fix your shit at gunpoint?

Lots of the folks I wheel with are armed, but we also have tools and parts to fix our rigs. :rolleyes:

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mike said:
So when you break something out in the middle of nowhere you can hijack passing rigs and make them fix your shit at gunpoint?

Lots of the folks I wheel with are armed, but we also have tools and parts to fix our rigs. :rolleyes:

Later,
....Mike
Well I didn't say that is the ONLY thing I carry!

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Mechanics wire and zip ties.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have an '02 regular cab w/Leer hard tonneau cover. When I go wheeling, I usually carry:
a few hand tools
Power Tank (10 lb)
two air pressure gauges (one is digital)
tow strap
extraction strap
flashlights
extra coats, gloves, boots, etc.
dual-band amateur radio (50-watt)
police scanner
FRS/GMRS radios
CB
"jump start" battery
duct tape
wire
shovel
hatchet
knives
flashlights (inc. a Surefire G2 Nitrolon w/120-lumen bulb)
batteries
2.25-million candlepower spotlight w/rechargeable battery
water
rope
electrical tape
scissors
several blue tarps
garbage bags
12V air compressor
can of fix-a-flat
leather gloves
extra (Toyota) air filter
extra quart of motor oil
syphon pump
GPS
cell phone
binoculars
extra eyeglasses
first aid kit
.357 Magnum or .45 (depending on mood)
extra gasoline (depending on trip)
a bunch of other stuff that slips my mind right now

Much of this stuff gets pulled out of the truck when I get home.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Beer lots and lots of beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
oh and one more thing a blow up doll!

·
Registered
467 Posts
most of the above is the obvious things that people like us will carry , but i think the most forgotten things are toilet paper and a good pistol. I always carry my Glock 27 and my Glock 22 .You are out there in BFE and badguys love an area where no police go .I've heard where people have had their rigs stolen at gun point and stuff burgalized at night while they were in their tents and such. Oh yeah , beef jerky and large coolers of Bud!

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
sagexp said:
Curious to see what others carry when wheeling short term (1-5 days) for their "survival kit".

I've got a UWS slimline tool box in the back of my DC. Inside of that, I've got (or a couple items I'm purchasing this week to compliment my new winch):

HiLift
factory bottle jack
Shovel
Axe
spare starter
3 qt water
tow strap
tree strap
misc rope
shackles x 3
snatch block
50' of 5/16" winch extension rope.
socket set (metric and reg)
misc hand tools (screw drivers, long nose, vise grips, channel locks, etc).
multi meter
Haynes Manual
road flares x 8
small blue tarp
mag light (plus a streamlight in the cab)
spare batteries
duct tape
electrical tape
misc wire connectors
10' 12ga wire
tire repair kit
air (foam) in a can 2 cans
1 lb bottle of propane
propane torch
leather gloves
snow chains (although I may be ditching these now that I've got a winch unless I expect snow).

Needless to say, that little tool box holds a ton of crap, and it's always there and out of the way. I carry a ton of crap, but I'm usually way out on my own or with my 11 year old boy, so I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.......

Inside the cab I've got a large first aid kit and rain jacket behind the back seat. Other than that I don't store anything in the cab. I hate clutter (and the rattles and squeeks it usually brings)!

Anything obvious I'm missing? What do you take?
To go with the duct tape JB weld and tie wire! Also a survival knive is good! I aslo recomend the emergency first aid kit (TP!)

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
And a trail "spill clean up" kit. For when your truck bleeds.

--Scott

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I FIND a place in my truck to carry a small wool blanket or sarape' . Never know when you are gonna have to wait for daylight, especially on an easy day jaunt, or when you get stuck coming back from work,etc.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Fishbone said:
And a trail "spill clean up" kit. For when your truck bleeds.

--Scott
Everyone should carry these. They are cheap, and don't take up much space. Fluids on trail = fluids in the stream = fluids in the lake = closed trails....

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Trackick. :cool:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts